topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 8:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Statistics for Excel  (Read 7940 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Statistics for Excel
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:16 AM »
Today's Giveawayoftheday, StatFi, is an add-on for Microsoft Excel™ 2000/XP/2003/2007 spreadsheet program only. >>Offering the same familiar, convenient Excel look and feel, StatFi greatly expands the analytical and statistical capabilities of Microsoft Excel. Supporting ISO standards ensures repeatable results of every analysis.<<

It installed on my XP SP3 without problems, and comes with an extremely thorough tutorial to get you started. All you have to do is to start Excel, and StatFi has made a new menu, “Statistics (StatFi)”, in Excel’s menu line. From now on you may also start Excel from Start > All Programs > StatFi 2007 GOTD. The tutorial includes a complete “Overview of Elementary Concepts in Statistics”, but it is written for English students who already knows most of their maths, and was not at all easy for me to understand, as I am either into English or the maths.

But if you already know your maths, StatFi is a very convincing add-on! However, I have not been able to reach the listed homepage, nor www.analystsoft.com, (if the company even exists anymore?), so there *might* not be any updates (to purchase). Last autumn it was offered at a 50% "Christmas" discount.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/statfi/

statfi.gif
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:29 AM by Curt »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Statistics for Excel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:52 AM »
It installed ok for me, but excel 2007 wouldn't close properly and on occasion crashed while trying to close.  Others may fare better.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23 AM »
But if you already know your maths, StatFi is a very convincing add-on! However, I have not been able to reach the listed homepage, nor www.analystsoft.com, (if the company even exists anymore?), so there *might* not be any updates (to purchase). Last autumn it was offered at a 50% "Christmas" discount.

I just tried and it loaded OK for me here: have you tried again?

The last post in their forums was July 12...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:46 AM »
It installed ok for me, but excel 2007 wouldn't close properly and on occasion crashed while trying to close.  Others may fare better.

I too had problems when I was to close Excel 2003, and it turns out that StatFi opens slowly and closes even more slowly - I  had to wait for a very long time, and then hit the close button again, and only then did Excel close properly.

Perry is right, the homepage works okay now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:56 AM by Curt »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for the tip Curt. I grabbed it.

Although not for statistics, this might be a good time to remind the folks interested in Excel add-ons about the excellent free ASAP Utilities for Excel.

screenshot-excel2003-menu-asap-utilities.pngStatistics for Excel

[modified to add CRLF for better fashion sense.]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:36 AM by tinjaw »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Is it my browser only, or does anyone else also have this problem with some images?:

dbl.gifStatistics for Exceldbls.gifStatistics for Excel

The problem only occurs when you don't hit Enter once or twice AFTER the "Link Inline Image" edited: (IF the image is the very last part of the post) - images edited: (ending a post) should always be followed by an extra line or two, to avoid this problem (in my browser).
Or is it my browser only?  :tellme:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:54 AM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Is it my browser only, or does anyone else also have this problem with some images?:

might be related to this problem i had previously. since i was using Firefox, i created a new profile to make the problem go away.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25 AM »
I have a licensed copy of statistixl - has anyone tried both? Just wondering if the GOTD offering is worth installing as I already have a number of Excel (2007) add-ins installed already... including ASAP -> +1 to tinjaw's testimonial about it  :Thmbsup:: no Excel installation should be without it!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:27 AM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:34 AM »
- you might find the  S   L   O   W    N   E   S   S   to be too annoying, Darwin.

---

Thank you for the links, lanux. Most informative!  :up:
- the problem only occured in Firefox (this is written in Maxthon 2).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:03 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40 AM »
BTW can't get to any of the relevant webpages for a description of StatsFi... so their webpage appears to be down again (or overloaded?).

PS thanks for the note, Curt. You're right about likely finding the slowness annoying. However, if it proved to be more powerful than statistixl, I *might* be tempted to install it and keep it disabled for most of the time. Having said that, I now recall installing StatPlus (a standalone stats package from the same company) when it was offered on GOTD in December and it didn't last long, so likely the Excel plug-in won't offer more...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01 AM »
- there is only one installer, meaning you cannot reinstall tomorrow (unless...).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 11:04 AM »
- there is only one installer, meaning you cannot reinstall tomorrow (unless...).

Yeah... I noticed the single installer - all things considered, I think I'll pass.