ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer problem, maybe you can help

<< < (3/6) > >>

mouser:
very good idea re ram, and try with just one stick -- i've found memory is very temperamental.

wreckedcarzz:
I'll give the ram re-seating a go, it is a beotch to get them back in but it might on the off chance work...

True, no matter how long you extend something you can only drag it out for so long. Unfortunately everything must die.

If nothing else, I get a hard drive, floppy drive, power supply, fan, and some other random parts from it. Something for nothing is never bad (assuming the something isn't a harmful thing).

wreckedcarzz:
Random oddity: Two sticks of RAM appear to be superglued into the motherboard. But there is no glue or anything holding them that I can see. I have removed the 256MB that Windows was using... so I don't know what the heck these other two are. They are the length of RAM, but about 2/3 of the height of the others.

That's a new one.

techidave:
are you sure they're not just stuck?  I have used RAM with varying heights before without known problems.  I do try to make sure they are all the same speed, ie. PC2100 or whatever.

cmpm:
I've rebuilt a few old computers from parts.

Sounds like you have tried everything but the ribbon cable.
If it's not the motherboard, I'd try a different ribbon cable.

But Dells-especially old dells are very picky on every little setting.
Including the bios and parts.

Disable all warnings in the bios,
if you can.

Reset it to setup or standard defaults.
Then go through each section and clear warnings and virus scans and intrusion alerts. If you can.

Personally an old dell ain't worth it to me,
unless I have the time to mess with it.

Like I said, they are picky about every little setting from what I've experienced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version