ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer problem, maybe you can help

(1/6) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, I have an issue and a friend (although tempting, the friend is not the issue that is the topic here today :P)

This friend of mine has had a Dell Dimension 8200 computer. Bad shape. Let me clarify. Picture your entire house, all the dust, now collect it and put it into a 4 year old computer that is about 18"x18"x6" and has only been opened MAYBE 10 times in its lifetime. Except all that dust wasn't the problem (DYSON vacuums do wonders ;D). Ignoring the mere 256MB of ram (64MB each, 4 sticks), two aging hard drives, graphics card with the back cover 1/2 broken off, one *really* old CD 4x drive, and the most-likely-broken floppy drive... the computer will no longer boot. (It could be noted that this poor computer was used for gaming - not Solitare, but mid/high range games like the ones in the DC Gamers Club area of the Forum. When you stop laughing (or crying), read on.)

The issue happened after my friend, as he says "hit the side of the computer really hard" and "it doesn't turn on anymore. The power light just goes orange"

Basically, it sounds like some wierd hardware malfunction happened due to the sudden shock. The power supply is NOT the culprit (I have replaced it, minus the secondary hard drive/CD drive/floppy power). I did a ton of over-the-phone troubleshooting and nothing helped. Removing GPU, reconnecting all plugs on back of PC, changing power outlets, nothing. With the computer in my posession now, I have done more advanced stuff, but nothing seems to help. The computer makes NO beeping noises at startup or after several minutes "running" (not sure how to describe it, it doesn't turn off but it isn't "on"). The video card gives no output. The sound card was swapped out recently from a Sound Blaster LIVE! to a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, however that is not the issue. It has nothing to do with Windows, and not the hard drives (he hit the power button as I was installing the PSU (!) and there was no change (the hard drive was not plugged in). I said some things, but the computer did not change (the same cannot be said for my voice inflection). ;D

The rear (CPU) fan WAS spinning up on "boot", but it has since stopped (I think that is a personal error, as I am unsure how the he*l this stupid Dell fan clip goes onto the mobo... but anyways. CD drive opens. I believe the hard drive spins up as well, not sure. The graphics card, as said, has been re-installed and the RAM shouldn't have moved (haven't checked). There is NO onboard video, FYI (and I do not own another AGP graphics card, so that limits testing that dept).

I have done Google searches (don't bash me for not, because I have :)) and the answers are not as helpful as I need them to be. Specifically here: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/266333-menacing-orange-power-light.html seemed helpful, but I have checked all of that.

So I have no idea what to do. I am happy to scour it for parts, but if I can get it working I might be able to hold it long enough so he can get a newer, and maybe somewhat decent, computer. And then I have another server or something for BOINC.

Ideas, fellow DCers?
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
Additional info:

Hard drive LED stays green
Not plugged into surge protector
No dust around any ports
All USB ports appear to be fine (no bent pins)
Rear/CPU fan is spinning once again (my error)

EDIT: And GPU fan is spinning strong

EDIT 2: Both HDs are IDE, and set to Cable Select

First HD does NOT appear to spin up, secondary does spin up
Primary shows constant HD green light Both show NO HD light (green is shown when there is NO HD attached, so... some weird cabling issues there it looks like)

EDIT 3: Information change (above)

EDIT 4: It appears the primary hard drive is/has been dead. Not sure, but it sure looks like a paperweight now (no spinning). The light is still amber on both IDE cable plugs. The secondary drive spins up, so it is not a power-to-HD issue.

EDIT 5: Everything works fine (HD, GPU fan, CPU fan, and the CPU (I touched and quickly removed my hand from the somewhat hot heatsink to check), but it still doesn't work. RAM appears to be seated fine (I gently pressed on all 4 chips). After a short 60 second phone call I now know that he hit it on the right side (where the motherboard is) and that it did not fall over afterward. I think it is a scrapyard paperweight at this point... but I don't really want to give up on it. Ideas? I don't really want to get 5 or 6 things from this PC and dump it in a landfill if I can fix it.

EDIT 6: The hard drive is fine, spins up like a beauty. IDE and other cables are secure. I think it might just be the motherboard at this point... there is heat coming from the RAM and heat sink, so... dunno. Afterthought: Could it have overheated? Small room, room temp @ about 90F (~32C) with little ventilation and running system intensive 3D games (literally riding on the "MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS"?

Dormouse:
Given the apparently awful state of the computer - and the number of things that might have happened - I'd suggest a swapping in strategy rather than a swapping out one. In other words, I'd take each component (including cables), one at a time, and swap (or add) them to a known working system. That should at least isolate the components that don't work with the exception of the mobo.

wreckedcarzz:
I have thought of this approach, but I am not sure what component has gone wrong, and I have installed faulty hardware into perfectly running PCs before, only to fry that computer as well (smoke, a lot of heat, and panic). It is an option but for now I would like to keep this an isolated problem.

mouser:
no motherboard beeps or lights to yield any clues?
the yellow light suggests maybe motherboard problem or cpu problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version