topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can you live with *just* opera?  (Read 38437 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can you live with *just* opera?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 03:00 AM »
I'm not sure I understand. CTRL+Roll-the-Mousewheel-Forward/Backward does indeed zoom-in/out in FF3 here, though I admit I have no idea which provides it: FF3 itself or an extension.

Better yet, I use the thumb wheel to zoom in and out, without having to reach for the keyboard (for CTRL).

I also paid for Opera years ago, but it's no longer on my system. I check it out from time to time (with just about every major release), but FF3 is the one for me right now.

Does the "thumbwheel zoom" enlarge all items (text, pictures, graphics, video windows, etc) or just text? 

I know most (all?) will enlarge/reduce text, but I haven't found any that do it all like Opera does.  Still, I am open to real improvement.  :)

FYI - I modifed my above post for clarity.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21 AM »
Does the "thumbwheel zoom" enlarge all items (text, pictures, graphics, video windows, etc) or just text? 

Everything. Not just text.

p.s.: Regarding your "clarification": do you really mean "CTRL+Thumbwheel", not "CTRL+Mousewheel"?

Very few mouses have a thumbwheel. I'm using Logitech MX Revolution, which allows me to use the thumbwheel to zoom-in/out on most applications (not just FF), with the help of 3rd-party software. No need to the "CTRL" modifier. When CTRL is involved, then it's Mousewheel that does the zooming.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 04:53 AM »

Everything. Not just text.

p.s.: Regarding your "clarification": do you really mean "CTRL+Thumb wheel", not "CTRL+Mouse wheel"?

I use a MS Trackball Explorer.  It is not a "mouse" per se, and one does roll the wheel with one's thumb.

Very few mouses have a thumb wheel. I'm using Logitech MX Revolution, which allows me to use the thumb wheel to zoom-in/out on most applications (not just FF), with the help of 3rd-party software. No need to the "CTRL" modifier. When CTRL is involved, then it's Mouse Wheel that does the zooming.

Ah! yes, you are right.  I do remember holding down the left-mouse button and moving the whole mouse, not just a wheel.

The salient information is you have stated that latest version of FF3 has the identical behaviour I described, sans the [CTRL] part. 

I did download FF3 when it was first available and did not find the feature you have identified.  Please be specific how and/or where I will find this in FF3.  I may have to give this another once-over.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24 AM »
How and or where? You do the EXACT same sequence as you do in opera. I just tested CTRL+scrollwheel and it works fine on ALL items. This is done without any extensions. Hell, even IE7 does this. I am willing to bet this worked in IE6 as well because I do remember doing such a thing and wondering the first time how/what I did.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02 AM »
How and or where? You do the EXACT same sequence as you do in opera. I just tested CTRL+scrollwheel and it works fine on ALL items. This is done without any extensions. Hell, even IE7 does this. I am willing to bet this worked in IE6 as well because I do remember doing such a thing and wondering the first time how/what I did.

Yes, you are correct, but on *my* system IE response was/is significantly slower than Opera.  It felt/feels "clunky" for lack of a better word.  I will say that the "Find-as-you-type" toolbar add-on for IE7 is top-notch!  It would be great if Opera could adopt in-page searches the way F-A-Y-T for IE does it.

The bi-cubic rendering is pretty nice too!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Opera has been my default browser for a very long time. From before FF. But something has happened recently that has really put me off using it. For some reason my mouse starts jumping when it is over the page tabs, which makes navigating between them very difficult. True for Opera 10 and 9.5+. Doesn't happen in any other browser. I've turned mouse gestures off and still the same (didn't really expect it to change anything). Haven't done a big search to try and find out what is doing it - nothing shows process wise that would appear to interrupt it; easier to use Iron and FF. But after a while with them, I always want to go back to Opera only to get frustrated again.