ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you live with *just* opera?

<< < (9/12) > >>

Paul Keith:
Hello everyone.

Yes, you can live with just Opera just as some can't live with just Opera or Firefox in that case.

Opera's main nemesis is Google Applications. For casual usage, (barring the services who use extensions or the rare poorly configured site) that's the only thing holding it back but this is like saying people can't live with just a text browser. It's just not true.

Think about it. Some can live with just IE and I couldn't live with just IE or FF. I would at this point just as much quit surfing if Desktop Opera goes away. That's why I'm glad Google came out with chrome. Two lightweight browsers = more space for multi-browser use.

allen:
Opera + gmail is pure shit. I love Opera and keep trying to use it, but every time I check my e-mail I want to scream and find myself scrambling for file -> exit.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that Opera and gmail play well together... what am I missing? Because for me, it hangs for everything. Changing folders is 50/50, reading a message is 50/50. Sending messages? I have about a 5% chance of actually getting it sent. Useless.
-allen (September 02, 2008, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know, really. The old version worked fine from day one on Opera 9.2x, and the new 2.0 design started to work without any trick on Opera 9.5x since a while ago. And it never fails. Perhaps something is misconfigured, like it happened to Anne, or another program in the middle is breaking everything?
-Lashiec (September 02, 2008, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

What happened with Anne? Shouldn't be any program in the middle. I don't use any proxies, ad blockers or anything of the sort.

Dormouse:
Opera + gmail is pure shit. I love Opera and keep trying to use it, but every time I check my e-mail I want to scream and find myself scrambling for file -> exit.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that Opera and gmail play well together... what am I missing? Because for me, it hangs for everything. Changing folders is 50/50, reading a message is 50/50. Sending messages? I have about a 5% chance of actually getting it sent. Useless.-allen (September 02, 2008, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have these problems. Mostly it works just fine. Sometimes it feels as if the gmail server is down - but it's no better if I try touse FF to access it. Never descended as far as ie for this.

Just as I have no problems using my bank account with Opera.

Paul Keith:
One thing I don't understand. Opera says that web development people ignore them due to market share. This is why the suck so much in anything AJAX-y.

But then, safari (on windows, which probably gets 1/100th the attention of 1/1000 of the devs at cupertino) gets all those pages that fail with Opera right. And faster.

What am I missing?
-urlwolf (August 05, 2008, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not a web developer but this is just probably a guess. Apple or Mac traction. Most developers are on average probably more willing to work on Safari after they have worked on Firefox and IE and only bother with Opera when there are complaints.

Lashiec:
What happened with Anne? Shouldn't be any program in the middle. I don't use any proxies, ad blockers or anything of the sort.
-allen (September 03, 2008, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

A cookie thing. Unless we're talking about M2 + GMail, and not about checking GMail by going to the site... in both cases I'm afraid there's not an easy solution. With M2 it seems to be because of sloppy coding on the part of Google, and with the browser it depends on the phase of the moon. I remember seeing some other people complaining about GMail problems in the Opera forums, but not immediate solution, apart from cross-browsing, of course :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version