ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you live with *just* opera?

<< < (3/12) > >>

allen:
Yes, posting to the official forums seems an exercise in futility.  I sometimes think Opera should discontinue its desktop browser and focus wholly on mobile browsing, where they are indeed king.  While I'd be sadened to have them go, having the Opera option forcibly removed from me would be a great relief, I think.

Developers, of virtually every AJAX toy out there, insist they won't support Opera because Opera makes up so little of their web traffic, but how much of that traffic *would* be Opera if Opera was supported? They block people out, then "observe" that those people aren't using it.  Frustrating.

I don't know of any way to transfer all of your passwords over, but if you need to back them up for reference, Pass Scape's Opera Password Recovery ($27/Lifetime) works great.

Lashiec:
For example Gmail works with Opera if I mask it as Firefox, which is silly.
-anne_r (July 27, 2008, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Weird, GMail 2 works just fine here without any masking (maybe Opera is doing some black magic behind the scenes?)

The thing is that, considering the issues Opera had as lately with many sites, and the improvements coming with Firefox 3, I was telling myself I would end up coming back to Firefox after some years, yet Opera 9.5 and Firefox 3 came out and I find myself using Opera more than before (I even forgot about the "Open with" submenu). Maybe it's because of my Internet habits that lead me to Opera-compatible sites, which rarely are using AJAX, or if they are, run without issues. It should be said Opera's compatibility has increased as lately (GMail being the prime example), and I'm confident it will get even better with time (yeah, I'm repeating myself over and over :)). Or they sue Google, and set things straight out off the courts ;D

In any case, I was accustomed to use Firefox or Internet Explorer as needed, and well, it seemed natural to me (although I loathe to use IE for anything), and so I cross-browsed (heh, new term) without problems. These days, I fire, errr, Firefox, when I have closed Opera with tons of tabs open, and it's such a annoyance to launch it again, and wait for the sites to load, or just if I need to do something in a incompatible site. IE, only for Windows Update, in the rest of the Internet, I feel dirty using it :D

While it's true that I could replicate Opera in Firefox using extensions, I never saw the point in doing that when I could be using the real thing (and I tell you I thought about doing it a few times already). And yet, some things are impossible to duplicate.

tomos:
I fire, errr, Firefox, when I have closed Opera with tons of tabs open, and it's such a annoyance to launch it again, and wait for the sites to load,
-Lashiec (July 28, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm exactly the opposite - FF has all the tabs open, I use opera though as my default (usually, more in case I dont have FF open & as you say would have to wait a long time ..)
Also in OPera I have "open [current page] in FF" in the context menu (via Surfulater forum here)

I'm not a big surfer & definitely no power user, & maybe I'm very superficial :P but it's interface issues now that keep me using FF,
small things - much less control over how tabs work get's me every time I use Opera - also, not an important thing but it was opera brought in that thing where if you click on the open tab, it will go back to the previous tab - that worked for a very short while & hasnt since -
No problem for tabmixplus - I can basically make tabs function any way I want with this
Another thing I cant seem to do is open new typed address in a new page as opposed to in current
All little things but they add up to me using mainly FF ...

Oh yeah, Gmail didnt work, then did work, now doesnt work ... :down:

anne_r:
For example Gmail works with Opera if I mask it as Firefox, which is silly.
-anne_r (July 27, 2008, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Weird, GMail 2 works just fine here without any masking (maybe Opera is doing some black magic behind the scenes?)-Lashiec (July 28, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really had to look into this, and found out that my cookie settings were too tight. Now I allow all cookies, and Gmail loads perfectly in Opera! Great!   :up:  Question: why did Gmail load OK, when I masked Opera as Firefox with the old & tight cookie settings? Answer: I don't know. :)

And ditto to all you wrote about Opera, Firefox and IE, Lashiec.

dantheman:
With all due respect for Opera fans, the new FF3 ahsomethingamigger brings bookmarking to a whole new age.
I have around 1,000 bookmarks and i find this new url box enhancement along with Foxmarks backup service to be an excellent solution to an essential part of surfing.

Another complimentary service is the ever improving Evernote for note taking. Fans must like the fact that they can save a whole webpage in FF with just one click.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version