ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you live with *just* opera?

<< < (2/12) > >>

anne_r:
Can you live with *just* opera?
-urlwolf (July 26, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't either. Opera is my default browser, but at times I have to use Firefox. For example Gmail works with Opera if I mask it as Firefox, which is silly.
Firefox 3 is OK, but is loads very slowly. I have some extensions installed, but hardly ever use them :). Opera has all I need, and I've so grown into it I couldn't live without.

allen:
As much as I love Opera, no... I can't live with just Opera. I really don't like Firefox, have always found Mozilla's interfaces to be clunky and unappealing and I loathe tabs.  Unfortunately, almost every new web app is JavaScript intensive... JavaScript that isn't Opera compatible.  Virtually all of Google's apps have issues on Opera, backpackit, plurk... Almost any major AJAX intensive website.  Don't know/care who to blame on the matter, whether it's opera, the developers it matters not. The point is, if you want to use opera *and* these things you have to settle for an inferior experience, as at least a few things won't be working right (if at all). Then there's Opera's lack of rich text clipping support... so external applications used to clip/save data just get plain text.

For these two reasons, I find myself using FF or IE more than Opera -- not by choice, mind you, but what else can one do?

icekin:
I use Opera 99.9% of the time. The only time I use FF3 is if Opera fails on a certain site for some reason. And IE only if the site fails on both Opera and FF. Usually, I prefer not to visit such sites though. I used to have K-Meleon installed as my Opera alternative instead of FF, but it unfortunately didn't support the same number of extensions that FF did.

allen:
That is *exactly* the problem, though--one has to choose either allegiance to the browser and thereby lesson your options in terms of what you can do online... or you can have access to the entirety of the Internet in a browser you like less.

I used to just stick with what the browser could do, but more and more I'm leaning toward the belief that what's on the Internet is more important than the tool you use to access it. It's your destination, not your ride.

urlwolf:
Same here, Allen. So much so that I'm considering moving back to FF. I've been using Opera full-time since v. 5.

I think the problem is that AJAX sites debug their stuff with firebug. They of course test it with FF and maybe with IE for those grandmas out there on the internets who have 7 toolbars installed because they don't know how to remove them :)

Opera created dragonfly, but by the time devs realize it exists, and -maybe- start using it, we could all being too bored and using FF.

Opera's dev team is the most resilent to criticism, so my guess is that posting in their forums will do nothing.

It's sad, because they are very innovative, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to let Opera go. Problem is, I have a few thousands login passwords on the infamous wand. Now I have no idea how to export that to FF.

Bummer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version