ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you live with *just* opera?

(1/12) > >>

urlwolf:
Can you live with *just* opera?

I can't. Even though it's my default browser, I need to have FF open at all times. Too many sites don't work well with Opera (google calendar being one of them).

This is getting tiresome; it's a bit of a waste of memory.
I like Opera over FF because I don't have to pay a person full-time to keep all addons updated, it has an integrated mail client that I love, and it can do the 'fit to width' thing.

On rendering speed they are about the same right now. Used to be the case that Opera was faster. FF is also less memory intensive now.

All in all, Opera is losing ground against FF in my book. What's your take?

Also, I keep Opera because FF 3 broke intellicomplete (no prompts!).

dantheman:
I like Opera too but can't make it default for the same reasons as you.

Also, the new "awesome bar" (ugh!) in FF3 makes the url box much more complete than Opera's.
That is a pretty good reason in itself!

wreckedcarzz:
I have had friends that swear by Opera. They love it, for one reason or another. They now all run Firefox 3. Everything in Opera they liked is now a FF extension, and FF is less resource intensive than Opera now.

The one (and only) reason I used Opera for a while was the Speed Dial feature, but that has been recreated in the Fast Dial extension for Firefox. IMO the Opera skin browser page thing whatever is WAYYYY too confusing, and the skins are not diversified enough. They are all the same, boring, weird skin with different colors or a new icon here or there. Granted this was back on version 9.0 (I think, not sure) but nonetheless it just didn't seem to have the cozy "feel" that Firefox gives you. (Maybe its the FIRE part of the fox :P)

I no longer use Opera, Maxthon, IE7, or any other browser. Nor does my parents or little sister. It just works for all of us.

</rambling>

Renegade:
I use IE7, FF, Opera and Safari.

IE7 is my default because I like the mouse gestures from ALToolbar far better than any others. They're smoother and the tracers are nice to use as well.

For FF vs. Opera, well, they work differently and usually I like Opera's behaviours better.

Safari I only use for some specific things, and not a lot.

But on this machine, Opera is my default browser. On my other machine, it's IE.

PhilB66:
I have had friends
-wreckedcarzz (July 26, 2008, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

May I suggest (no affiliation)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version