ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR alias: Quick Outlook Task

<< < (12/22) > >>

Armando:
Really cool.  :)

s.newave:
How cool would it be to be able to display your current tasks within FARR itself and then be able to perform actions on them.
-s.newave (August 04, 2008, 11:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you give me a sample scenario of the the sort of actions you are thinking of?
-jpijper (August 05, 2008, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking about something like:

do /display - would show all tasks (maybe you could have an option to limit the number of results?)
do /display /c work projectx - display all tasks in work and projectx category
do /display /p high - display all the high priority tasks
do /display /d today - display all tasks due today

So bascially each command would list the tasks inside FARR just like any other results. You could then simply go down to the task you wanted in the results list hit <tab> which could insert that task into the edit box with the alias in front of it (i.e. "do paint the house") and then you could simply enter the action you wanted to perform on that task (i.e. /up /complete or /p low, etc..).

This would help out a great deal as well with not having to remember or look up the exact name of the task when you want to update it. I find a lot of times that i have to first look up the name of the task in outlook so that i can use the same name when i go to update it which kind of defeats the whole purpose :D.

P.S the new v1.4 is working great, especially with the auto-update :up:

jpijper:

do /display - would show all tasks (maybe you could have an option to limit the number of results?)

So bascially each command would list the tasks inside FARR just like any other results. You could then simply go down to the task you wanted in the results list hit <tab> which could insert that task into the edit box with the alias in front of it (i.e. "do paint the house") and then you could simply enter the action you wanted to perform on that task (i.e. /up /complete or /p low, etc..).
-s.newave (August 05, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have to admit that this sounds like a great idea. But I have to be realistic: this would be a non-trivial undertaking and I just don't have the time for this right now. As it is, this Do thing, which started out as just an alias using an existing tiny do.exe that I found somewhere, has grown beyond anything I imagined. Sort of law of nature in software development, I suppose. Don't mistake me, it's great fun and I find the result really useful for myself as well. Later, perhaps ...

This would help out a great deal as well with not having to remember or look up the exact name of the task when you want to update it. I find a lot of times that i have to first look up the name of the task in outlook so that i can use the same name when i go to update it which kind of defeats the whole purpose :D. -s.newave (August 05, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree that if you work with tasks extensively the calls on your memory may become a serious issue. To relieve at least some of this problem, I will shortly release another version, which will look for subjects containing the string given, not just the one starting with it. Thus "do /up paint" would find "Paint the house", "Buy new paint", "Hang up painting", etc. This should just about remove the need to look up task names in Outlook, I think.

jpijper:
Version 1.4.1 is now available.

This version finds subjects containing the string given, not just the one starting with it. Thus "do /up paint" would find "Paint the house", "Buy new paint", "Hang up painting", etc. See the previous post for the reason (I don't know how to link).

Also, do /help now lists all possible switches. Not very elegantly perhaps, but that is for another version ;)

s.newave:

-s.newave (August 05, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have to admit that this sounds like a great idea. But I have to be realistic: this would be a non-trivial undertaking and I just don't have the time for this right now. As it is, this Do thing, which started out as just an alias using an existing tiny do.exe that I found somewhere, has grown beyond anything I imagined. Sort of law of nature in software development, I suppose. Don't mistake me, it's great fun and I find the result really useful for myself as well. Later, perhaps ...
-jpijper (August 05, 2008, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Totally understandable. The exsiting functionality works really well though and this is definitely a great alias to have :Thmbsup:.

This would help out a great deal as well with not having to remember or look up the exact name of the task when you want to update it. I find a lot of times that i have to first look up the name of the task in outlook so that i can use the same name when i go to update it which kind of defeats the whole purpose. -s.newave (August 05, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree that if you work with tasks extensively the calls on your memory may become a serious issue. To relieve at least some of this problem, I will shortly release another version, which will look for subjects containing the string given, not just the one starting with it. Thus "do /up paint" would find "Paint the house", "Buy new paint", "Hang up painting", etc. This should just about remove the need to look up task names in Outlook, I think.
-jpijper (August 05, 2008, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the update. The 1.4.1 version works great with the new feature.

I was also playing around with the /displaycontacts feature and it is very handy!!! Is there any chance you would consider adding something similar for an /email switch? This way you could do something like: do /email "henry smith" "john doe". Perhaps even add a /subject switch although im probably pushing it already :D. Imo this would be a really useful feature to add and something i could see myself using on a daily basis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version