ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR alias: Quick Outlook Task

<< < (8/22) > >>

s.newave:
Wow, great work jpijper! Having a little trouble with v1.3 though. Everytime i try and execute anything like add new task, display contact etc i get the error below: ...-s.newave (August 03, 2008, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, newave, it's very nice of you to call this great work. A little trouble? It seems that you can't do anything at all. The simplest thing one can do with the program is add a task, and even that apparently won't work for you. :mad: The error reports that you include unfortunately are no help to me at all, so can you answer the following questions:

- What is your operating system and Outlook version? This has been developed only for Windows XP and Outlook 2003.
- Do you have Outlook running when you try to add a task through the alias?
- What exactly happens when you give the command "do test" ?
- You say that you are having problems with v1.3. Does that mean you also tried earlier versions and that they worked?
-jpijper (August 03, 2008, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

-WinXP SP2
-Outlook 2007
-Tried with and without outlook running and i always get the same error msg posted above whenever i try "do" anything.
-First version i have tried

You should also consider making this a plugin so that you can take advantage of the auto-update feature.
-s.newave (August 03, 2008, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

This I am not going to do. I strongly believe in keeping responsibilities separatated. The functionality offered by do.exe is independent of FARR. FARR is a quick-launch utility, whose task is to facilitate the quick launching of programs, such as do.exe, and it does that well. But other similar launch utilities, such as Launchy, can launch do.exe equally well. Or you can launch do.exe through Win-R, or from the command line in a DOS window. If I turn this into a FARR plugin it becomes a FARR-only thing, and it isn't. This is just how I feel about it.
-jpijper (August 03, 2008, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough however my only reason for suggesting it is because i feel it is a lot more efficient to be able to autoupdate without having to always check the thread/site for updates to your alias especialy when FARR has such a great update functionality. Also it would allow you display alias help as mentioned above within FARR itself instead of having to launch an external file. It also wouldnt be that much additional work to create a plugin and you would still be able to keep the do.exe functionality separate as you mentioned. I would be more than happy to wrap the alias in a plugin if you want? Either way your call.

jpijper:
-WinXP SP2
-Outlook 2007
-s.newave (August 03, 2008, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'm sort of relieved that you are using Outlook 2007, since only 2003 is officially supported.
However, I would certainly like to enable 2007 as well. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a computer with Outlook 2007 installed, nor do I have a virtual pc set up at the moment.
Could  you try the following please: download http://jpijper.dcmembers.com/QuickOutlookTask/do.exe.rename (right-click and save target as) and replace do.exe with this newer version (rename to do.exe). I have used a different version of the Outlook Interop DLL in building the application, so maybe it now works with Outlook 2007, but that is really too much to hope for. I have also wrapped the entire Main method in a try/catch block, so now you should at least get a more meaningful error message when the program throws an unexpected exception. Please let me know how you fare.

Fair enough however my only reason for suggesting it is because i feel it is a lot more efficient to be able to autoupdate without having to always check the thread/site for updates to your alias especialy when FARR has such a great update functionality. ...  It also wouldnt be that much additional work to create a plugin and you would still be able to keep the do.exe functionality separate as you mentioned. I would be more than happy to wrap the alias in a plugin if you want? Either way your call.
-s.newave (August 03, 2008, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

You tell a convincing tale :) I will have a look at this plugin business on the site and come back to it later.

mouser:
you do not have to make this a plugin to take advantage of the update feature.  you can simply make an update file for your alias+do.exe combo, not a problem.  basically you would just put an update in your alias directory.
have a look at one of the .dcupdate files for plugins and see what it looks like.  i can help if you get stuck.

jpijper:
you do not have to make this a plugin to take advantage of the update feature.  you can simply make an update file for your alias+do.exe combo, not a problem.  basically you would just put an update in your alias directory.
have a look at one of the .dcupdate files for plugins and see what it looks like.  i can help if you get stuck.
-mouser (August 04, 2008, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great! I'll have a look. :up:

s.newave:
Could  you try the following please: download http://jpijper.dcmembers.com/QuickOutlookTask/do.exe.rename (right-click and save target as) and replace do.exe with this newer version (rename to do.exe). I have used a different version of the Outlook Interop DLL in building the application, so maybe it now works with Outlook 2007, but that is really too much to hope for. I have also wrapped the entire Main method in a try/catch block, so now you should at least get a more meaningful error message when the program throws an unexpected exception. Please let me know how you fare.
-jpijper (August 04, 2008, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Error 404 - link not found

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version