ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DVD Drive eject issues

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Until recently everything worked fine but the last few days I have been having problems with my DVD drives.

If I have an application loaded that accesses the drives (say ImgBurn) the physical drive open buttons no longer work - even when the drive is not locked by the application because it is doing something.

The software buttons in ImgBurn work fine to eject the disc but this is happening with other apps too that don't have open and close buttons - consequently I have to open ImgBurn just to open the drive trays.

I have never seen this issue before. Anyone any idea what is causing it and how to fix it?

cranioscopical:
Huh!  I had this happen recently -- puzzled the heck out of me too.  The box in question has one Plextor and one LG.  Push all the buttons you want, no eject but soft eject worked (to my amazement).  If you hadn't mentioned it here I'd still be thinking I'd imagined the whole thing!

I checked all the cables, fiddled around some... drives back again.  Had a brief spell of the 'sticky directory' issue.  Shortly after that my power supply began refusing to boot the machine (Enermax 650w) followed by one of the hard-drives biting the bullet. 

This little tale of woe doesn't help you a bit, I know.  Just wondered if my combination of circumstances gives any clues.  Haven't come to grips with it as I'm busy, so I just said some rude words and shifted to another system.  There's no back-up quite as effective as a redundant system.

Hope you get it sorted!

[Edit -- can't spell, evidently can't proof-read until after posting *sigh*]

Carol Haynes:
It shouldn't be related to a hard  disc error (I run SMART monitoring from within windows and all drives appear healthy) and my PSU is relatively new and a good make so I'd be very surprised (and annoyed if that has a problem).

It's all very strange. Can't find anything on MSKB about this issue and can't see it as a common issue on PCs in a google search (except XP installed on Mac).

lanux128:
recently i had to attend to a PC that had a similar problem so i did a firmware update and the eject button started responding again. but on that PC, the problem was from day one.

Carol Haynes:
I don't have that option as I have the latyest firmware installed already and the drives don't allow 'downgrading'.

The buttons do work - but if I have an app open that accesses the optical discs they seem to grab eject control until you close the app. It's very odd because this didn't happen before. The only time apps took control of eject was when they were actually processing a burn (and even then some apps didn't bother).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version