ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DonationCoder/Veign Programming Contest Results Posted

<< < (5/10) > >>

VideoInPicture:
Congrats Eric. How does Circle Dock compare to Magic Formation?
-PhilB66 (July 23, 2008, 08:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, impressive. Wonder why I didn't find this on google before? The idea between Magic Formation and Circle Dock is very similar. Magic Formation is a much more complete program right now than Circle Dock 0.9.1 and is very similar to what I'm coding for the new version of Circle Dock. If you want a circular dock program right now, I would recommend Magic Formation. But, I would use the new version of Circle Dock when it comes out in a bit because it will be more flexible and more fully featured.

There are some notable differences:
(1) Circle Dock is open source whereas Magic Formation is closed source so you can't change it to how you like it or add new features yourself.
(2) In Circle Dock, you have better control over how fast the dock scrolls whereas Magic Formation only allows 1 degree or 10 degrees at a time.
(3) Circle Dock allows a circle or spiral shaped dock whereas Magic Formation allows a circle, linear, or manual formation. In the new version of Circle Dock, there is an option for an oval shaped dock, which is great for wide screen monitors. I can also add a linear option without too much trouble.
(4) Magic Formation currently has better animation than Circle Dock but I'll be able to match it with the new version.
(5) Circle Dock is able to dynamically synchronize it's dock items with those files/folders/shortcuts at a specified location. Magic Formation does not support this.
(6) Circle Dock allows you to display multiple concentric circles of icons whereas Magic Formation only allows one circle.
(7) Circle Dock is able to support background images. Magic Formation does not.
(8) Circle Dock currently does not have an option to show what programs are running on your computer but the new version does.
(9) Magic Formation looks to be more stable than Circle Dock currently.
(10) The new version of Circle Dock supports the creation of virtual dock folders so that you can group your icons together and access them by clicking on a dock icon. Magic Formation does grouping but it leaves something to be desired because you have to access the groups through the right click menu on a grid of unidentified squares.

I believe the developer of Magic Formation are Japanese and that is probably one of the reasons why I haven't heard about this program sooner. I guess it will be an arms race between us two.  :D

PhilB66:
I believe the developer of Magic Formation are Japanese and that is probably one of the reasons why I haven't heard about this program sooner. I guess it will be an arms race between us two.  :D
-VideoInPicture (July 23, 2008, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, but I wouldn't worry too much about an "arms race" as WinFlip has Koji's (the developer) priority. He doesn't plan to update MF any time soon.

Thanks for the comparison. Just wanted to add that MF is a portable dock application and does not require .net framework to run which is a big  :up: for me. Anyway, will be looking out for a future release of Circle Dock.

Thanks.

wreckedcarzz:
Congrats to all three of you, all great programs :Thmbsup:

Now we need a Linux compatible version of Circle Dock so I can have my cake on Vista and eat it on Xubuntu too. ;)
Maybe a *nix programming contest next time around? Might be interesting!

*Wreckedcarzz eagerly awaits new CD version*

mahesh2k:
Congratulation to winners

Armando:
Great software, great work!
Impressive.
:up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version