ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: prompt Properties>Comments, when creating link for exe

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
When I (seldom) go to Start > All Programs, or (almost always) Quick Launch (True Launch Bar) to search for whatever program I am in need of, very often I cannot remember the name of the program in question, or I cannot remember if I am in need of program A, B, or C - because I cannot recall their features!

All shortcuts have this tooltip feature, point to the link and a tooltip can tell you what the linked program can do, but very few programmers use the feature. I also forget myself to type in such informations, when I create the shortcut.

No comments:

Too little commenting:

Much better comments:

Best comments, but this needed manual text editing because of line breaks
(- and there was too little space to tell about ", photobucket, imagewaste, imagecrack, flickr"):

So, my idea is for some app to prompt the Properties > Comments to pop up, whenever a shortcut is created for an exe file. This way, when I find a new program that I would like to test, I can copy the description of the features, from the site, and when the program has been installed and a shortcut must be created, this app 'you' are about to author, will force me to remember to paste that description into Properties > Comments. And from now on and for ever I can merely point at the shortcut and remember what the heck it was that this particular program was supposed to be able to do.

- like this:

XP can only accept so and so many characters (256?) in a comment, but that is okay, I guess.
What is not okay is, that hard line shifts/
breaks are not accepted. Therefore I would very much prefer the application to remove all such, so I don't need to involve yet another program for this one feature. However, it cannot do so if it will change the clipboard's content.

SirSmiley:
I was going to suggest Hob Comments but, it doesn't automatically pop up and
when I just tried it the comment was placed on the target exe and not the shortcut.

skrommel:
:) Try this one!

ShortcutTip - Prompts for a description when a shortcut is created.

Features:
- It watches the Start menu and the Desktop.

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel

SirSmiley:
That Skrommel guy always amazes me!  :Thmbsup:

Curt:
Really nice work, skrommel, :up: Thank you!

- and it even comes with this extra feature, comments for the uninstaller, as well... wow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version