Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 09:07:35 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: prompt Properties>Comments, when creating link for exe  (Read 12600 times)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »

When I (seldom) go to Start > All Programs, or (almost always) Quick Launch (True Launch Bar) to search for whatever program I am in need of, very often I cannot remember the name of the program in question, or I cannot remember if I am in need of program A, B, or C - because I cannot recall their features!

All shortcuts have this tooltip feature, point to the link and a tooltip can tell you what the linked program can do, but very few programmers use the feature. I also forget myself to type in such informations, when I create the shortcut.

No comments:

Too little commenting:

Much better comments:

Best comments, but this needed manual text editing because of line breaks
(- and there was too little space to tell about ", photobucket, imagewaste, imagecrack, flickr"):

So, my idea is for some app to prompt the Properties > Comments to pop up, whenever a shortcut is created for an exe file. This way, when I find a new program that I would like to test, I can copy the description of the features, from the site, and when the program has been installed and a shortcut must be created, this app 'you' are about to author, will force me to remember to paste that description into Properties > Comments. And from now on and for ever I can merely point at the shortcut and remember what the heck it was that this particular program was supposed to be able to do.

- like this:

XP can only accept so and so many characters (256?) in a comment, but that is okay, I guess.
What is not okay is, that hard line shifts/
breaks are not accepted. Therefore I would very much prefer the application to remove all such, so I don't need to involve yet another program for this one feature. However, it cannot do so if it will change the clipboard's content.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:59:09 AM by Curt » Logged
SirSmiley

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:51 PM »

I was going to suggest Hob Comments but, it doesn't automatically pop up and
when I just tried it the comment was placed on the target exe and not the shortcut.
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

smiley Try this one!

ShortcutTip - Prompts for a description when a shortcut is created.

Features:
- It watches the Start menu and the Desktop.

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
SirSmiley

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »

That Skrommel guy always amazes me!  Thmbsup
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

Really nice work, skrommel, thumbs up Thank you!

- and it even comes with this extra feature, comments for the uninstaller, as well... wow!
skooter1121
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »

WOW this is very helpful to keep track of my downloads
THANX

JustAThought:

-How about a comment prompt when you create a new folder?
-A comment prompt when you Save AS.. ?
(For Ex: I'm constantly applying filters in GIMP with different parameters (crop 25%,transparency 10%,......) and saving the files. A comment list in details view explorer would save me from writing the data down)

THANX AGAIN !

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:19:49 AM »

- for such a purpose you may want FileNotes, free or pro version:
http://www.jamworkspro.com/FileNotes/index.htm

edited:
FileNotes may not yet be ready for Vista.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:24:18 AM by Curt » Logged
skooter1121
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »

Thanks Curt. I looked at FileNotes. It would require all users to install it, so I couldn't give a folder to someone and have the FileNotes show as ToolTips. I'd rather use the Windows built in Comments field.

This would be a great ad-in for all Folders and Files. I even think you can search the Comments field.

-Skooter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.099s | Server load: 0.09 ]