ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Linux needs more haters

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
We all love to hate Windows (or a version of it), but where's the Linux hate? Say no more, the Linux Hater's Blog has you covered, where 'Linux users' are labeled 'lusers' for short. Even ZDNet's Jeremy Allison adds his take on what's good to hate about Linux:
Reading the LinuxHaters blog is a wonderful way to waste an afternoon. The premise behind it is that Linux is so awful that the blogger must rant about a particular problem they have had with the operating system, and describe it in great detail at least once per day. Every reply is labeled a “flame”, and the people responding don’t seem to know (or maybe they just don’t care) that the whole blog itself is a way to goad fanatical Linux supporters into attacking the author. Usually they complain that the author just “doesn’t get it” as to why Linux really does work well in this particular case. I must confess I enjoy reading the replies sometimes more than the blog posts themselves....

LinuxHater really doesn’t hate Linux, despite the name. No one takes that much time to point out flaws in a product that they completely loathe and despise. The complaints are really cries of frustration with a system that just doesn’t quite do what is desired (albeit well disguised). A friend pointed out to me that the best way to parse LinuxHaters blog is to treat it as a series of bug reports. A perl script could probably parse out the useful information from them and log them as technical bug reports to the projects LinuxHater is writing about. Deep down, I believe LinuxHater really loves Linux, and wants it to succeed.

wreckedcarzz:
The only reason I don't like Linux is the lack of games and the poor graphic/sound card support. Just because I don't have an integrated POS doesn't mean I should have to go through hoops to get decent window rendering and a good resolution!

But yea, kinda surprised... no one ever b*tches about *nix...

jgpaiva:
It's good for linux users/developers to realize what's wrong with the OS. Even though I think the guy can get overly agressive (I don't think linux is THAT unnusable), he does make good points.

40hz:

But yea, kinda surprised... no one ever b*tches about *nix...
-wreckedcarzz (July 22, 2008, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think there's a lack of pith in the Linux camp. Spend some time on the IRC channels or at a local LUG meeting and you'll see plenty of fur flying. (And that's before the drinking starts!) Or better yet, take a look at some of the "debate" raging around KDE 4.0 if you want to see just how ugly the Linux crowd can sometimes get. That one goes beyond anything I've ever seen directed at Redmond.

Still, it does seem that there is an unspoken agreement among The Anointed that "family business" should not be discussed in the presence of the Un-churched. So maybe there's a point to LinuxHaters after all. After I visited LH and looked around I have come to the conclusion that most of the snarling is done with tongue placed firmly in cheek. Fun to read at any rate. What can I say - I bookmarked it!

Lashiec:
The Unix Haters even have a handbook... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version