ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Article: take a peek into MS Windows development

(1/2) > >>

jgpaiva:
Here's an interesting article, written in 2006 by a guy who activelly worked in windows Vista.
It's interesting to see the whole process involved in making such a giant product, and how things sometimes don't come out the way they were expected.

http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html
To be honest, I actually like the feature mentioned in the article (it's Vista's shutdown button), except for the fact that it comes predifined to "sleep", which makes no sense. After changing it to "shutdown", I think it's a giant step better than XP's dialog.

mouser:
great read.  :up:

tomos:
To be honest, I actually like the feature mentioned in the article (it's Vista's shutdown button), except for the fact that it comes predifined to "sleep", which makes no sense. After changing it to "shutdown", I think it's a giant step better than XP's dialog.
-jgpaiva (July 21, 2008, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

wonder does it do this...?
Joel was talking about how sleep and hibernate can be merged. The Mac does this nicely. There is only one choice, "Sleep." At least with laptops, it hibertates the machine (writes RAM to disk) but then actually sleeps. That way, in case the power goes away by the battery wearing down, you just wake up as if you had been hibernating all along. (You can test this by sleeping a Macbook and then removing the battery. I don't feel like unplugging my iMac to see if it works the same way.) And if you never run out of power, you get the advantage of a fast wake-up time.(from the comments there)

[edit] OOOUPs
Actually, that's not true. Mac's by default to the equivalent of Stand By in Windows, which is that it doesn't write the RAM to disk. If you take out the battery your data goes down the drain. However, if you put it to sleep, and it's sleeping drains the battery, it will go into a "Deep Sleep" that writes RAM to disk before the battery goes completely dead. When you wake it up it'll do a little progress bar and you're back.(the comment following the previous somment :-[) [/edit]

good read allright, sounds like Dilbert land :)

jgpaiva:
That's the stupid part, Tom.. It doesn't. The "sleep" is a synonym for "standby" in winXP, that's why I say it doesn't make much sense.
Also, when you change from "sleep" to "shutdown", you can't choose "hibernate".. lol

I wouldn't choose "hibernate" anyways, everytime I tried it in XP, something went wrong :) Oh, and writing 2GB of used RAM to disk also would take a while, I suppose :)

f0dder:
Hm, my disks can do at least 60MB/s sustained (probably more) if there isn't file fragmentation to take into account... but even that, (8*1024)/(60*60) = ~2.28 minutes... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version