topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Put Vista to sleep and wake it up on a schedule?  (Read 4665 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Put Vista to sleep and wake it up on a schedule?
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:26 AM »
I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium.  It behaves very well as far as going to sleep and waking up as needed.  I can't just let it sleep when I am not using it, however, as it has a shared printer that my wife prints to from her laptop as well as music that she streams while at home.  I would like to be able to have the computer sleep over night and during the parts of the day when neither of us are at home, but have it wake itself up so it is available for printing and media streaming when she is at home.  Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks,

Carl

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Put Vista to sleep and wake it up on a schedule?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:20 PM »
I would like to be able to have the computer sleep over night and during the parts of the day when neither of us are at home, but have it wake itself up so it is available for printing and media streaming when she is at home.  Any ideas on how to make this work?

Can't you have it set to Wake On LAN?

You'll need to set your BIOS and any firewall/router/NAT to allow the packet to work.

Here's a free program that can wake a computer up WOL 1.03.  She can have a shortcut on her desktop to call it to wake your computer before doing any printing/etc.

Otherwise, Wikipedia also has quite a few resources listed.

And then just have it go to sleep after a period of inactivity.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:22 PM by 4wd »