ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Advice: Never use your ISP provided email address

<< < (6/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
For a less technical user who doesn't want to deal with the whole domain regsitration/setup/maintenance process, I'd definitely recommend this service.
-Jimdoria (July 21, 2008, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you choose the right registration company (that provides forwarding) setting up your own domain name is as simple as a payment with a credit card and then enter the email address to forward to. There is no need for any sort of hosting or setup at all and the only maintenance required is if you need to change the address mail is forwarded to. Many registration companies offer many (or even unlimited) numbers of forwarders for free - so you can have as many email aliases as you like forwarding wherever you like. As for webhosting all registration companies automatically forward the domain to a holding page until you do something (usually advertising their own services) - there is no obligation to do anything unless you want to.

Domain email forwarding can cost as little as $5 a year - or even free (with the caveats I mentioned in my previous post about free domains).

cranioscopical:
For years now we've had my wife's e-mail through http://www.pobox.com. It's a service that simply receives e-mail and forwards it on to any address you specify. Change ISPs? Simply change the address your e-mail is forwarded to.
--- End quote ---
I too use pobox, with satisfaction, but I see that some others of the suggestions here offer greater economy.  Hmm...

embarq_lamont:
Indeed my (ISP provided) Earthlink address turned into smoke a year ago when the local DSL provided (he who owns the copper...) broke the agreement they'd had and sprung up as Embarq. Embarq claimed to be migrating all the Earthlink accounts to their servers, but my (allegedly converted) Embarq account never has worked. Thankfully I've always run my own mail server, which is the only reason I'm still getting mail.  ...However Gmail does make for a nice backup & I keep a few other disposable Email accounts for (Um...) other stuff... :)
-Stoic Joker (July 19, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hello Stoic Joker,

I read your post that the Embarq mail has not worked for you.  If you need any help please email me with you phone number and I can send you information on how it works.  I was not sure if you had been informed when you transferred your email to Embarq, but earthlink.com could have continued to provide an email account for you for a fee.  The Embarq address is provided at no additional cost.  Please let me know if you had any additional assistance with you Embarq email.  Thank you for using Embarq, your complete communications solution.

Lamont L.
Embarq Customer Support
[email protected] 
For additional support please visit www.embarq.com/freetv or call 1-877-646-3282
Voice | Data | Internet | Wireless | Entertainment

iphigenie:
I only trust my own domain, since everything else can go bankrupt, be bought, stop offering the service etc.

f0dder:
Just a quick addition - you don't have to host a domain name in order to have an unchanging emaill address.

For years now we've had my wife's e-mail through http://www.pobox.com. It's a service that simply receives e-mail and forwards it on to any address you specify. Change ISPs? Simply change the address your e-mail is forwarded to.

The annual fee is really low, and you can even have multiple aliases for aggregation, etc. For a less technical user who doesn't want to deal with the whole domain regsitration/setup/maintenance process, I'd definitely recommend this service.
--- End quote ---
Does that mean you have [email protected] email addresses? If so, what if pobox should ever go down?

I've got my own domain as well, and it's the only thing I'll ever trust. I've got a gigabyte of web space, unlimited email addresses et cetera, for less than $30/year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version