topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: An application to keep user chosen apps on the tasktray even when open  (Read 10036 times)

Dark_Reflection

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An application to keep user chosen apps on the tasktray even when open. Unlike trayit where you have to keep the application minimized to make use of the tray, this idea would be similar to how Trillian instant messenger is in the tray but still open as shown in the attached screenshot. This would mean you can have any app minimized or open, while residing in the tasktray.

This would be a wonderful way to easily save space on your taskbar, one example off the top of my head is when I have firefox running, it constantly uses a valuable spot on my taskbar which could be used for my conversations or current work and when all of those are on it at once, one has to use the arrows to scroll through open windows or make the taskbar larger eating up screen space.

Trayit is very similar in the fact that it does move things to the tray, but with mulitiple monitors it's easy to find yourself with many more windows open meaning minimizing the windows to put them in the tray essentially is defeating the purpose. This can be saddening when you know an app that's always open and always in use is eating up space it doesn't have to.

Any ways to make this cleaner or clarification of the idea is very much welcome.

Attached is a screenshot showing an example of how this could work but, with any running program rather than only programs that come with such a feature already.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:00 AM by Dark_Reflection »

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Trayit does this already

screenshot.jpg
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

Dark_Reflection

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for pointing that out to me I guess I had an outdated version or didn't read carefully.

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
No problem. I to wanted this exact feature as I have Napster and Outlook running all day with no intention to need them in the task bar.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think Trayer is capable of something like this but it's not freeware. anyway, do take a look at this thread here for more like-minded apps.

Tray Management Utility

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This one is a free AutoIt3 called WinTray.  I'm still using v. 1.0 because it does what I want and I don't like "feature creep" but I guess it's up to 1.6 now:

http://www.autoitscr....php?showtopic=85841