topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Edited configdir.ini and it still creates Doncation coder in documents..  (Read 8717 times)

Dark_Reflection

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm currently running screenshot captor off of a usb thumb drive but on my vista box it constantly (each time the screenshotcaptor.exe is run) remakes a folder in
C:\Users\name\Documents\

I have the settings on it set to save to a folder inside the usb thumb drive but never-the-less it saves to my documents inside that folder anyway, as if over-ridden. I've attempted installing and uninstalling thinking the registry was modified at some point and perhaps it was the problem but it didn't help.

What makes this very odd for me is that on my windows XP box it doesn't have this issue at all, but at the same time I never installed it on the xp box. Deciding to use it on usb thumb rather than installing it and hence un-installing it from the vista box.

I tried editing the  "configdir.ini" but I'm not very familiar with any of this so the only change i made was

CONFIGDIR =/screen/

hoping that it would save on the usb thumb in the local folder it was being run from. Am I simply doing something wrong or is this an odd bug?

(I tried searching for a related topic on the forums and couldn't find anything right off hand but didn't really spend a half hour searching either. If this has been made and answered before I apologize.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
two things jump out at me, one is make sure you dont have the // at the begining of the CONFIGDIR = line
and the second is that you probably should be doing
CONFIGDIR = .\screen\

you might try that and see if it works, if not can you send me or attach to this thread your configdir.ini file ([email protected]) and i'll have a look and see.

truth be told the VISTA support came after CONFIGDIR support and i need to check the screenshot captor source to make sure its obeying the settings under vista.

Dark_Reflection

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just tried out the .\screen\
when running it it still wants to create

"DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots\"

but this time it returns an error  .\screen\donationcoder\screenshotcaptor\screenshots\   "Can't find specified path"   I could simply create the path but I was hoping it would save the screenshot directly to \screen\   as it does on windows xp.

I went to go create the path and it's already there but seems to not be able to find it. I'm pretty sure this is a vista related problem as the software works beautifully on xp.

I'll keep toying with it some.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like a vista thing -- i'll see if i can't fix it and release a new version with a couple more fixes in the next week.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another thing to make sure is that you need to delete your ScreenshotCaptor.ini file or else clear the FolderPathEdit.Text line in the ini file because if it has a specific directory already specified then it wont matter what you change the CONFIGDIR to, it will still try to use that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok i think i've fixed the problem. i'll post an updated version of sc in a little bit to see if it solves it.

Dark_Reflection

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another thing to make sure is that you need to delete your ScreenshotCaptor.ini file or else clear the FolderPathEdit.Text line in the ini file because if it has a specific directory already specified then it wont matter what you change the CONFIGDIR to, it will still try to use that.

I do believe that did it, one thing I'd like to add however is that using the

CONFIGDIR = .\screen

on a usb thumb drive returns a path not found error even though the path exists; If i place the drive such as the following, it saves just fine.

H:\ScreenshotCaptorSetup\screen\

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
ok i think i've fixed the problem. i'll post an updated version of sc in a little bit to see if it solves it.
What'd you have to change? Always curious to hear about Vista compatibility fixes and expand my knowledge-base :)
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What'd you have to change? Always curious to hear about Vista compatibility fixes and expand my knowledge-base

it's not a vista issue per se.
i have some generic code i put into my programs now that allow them to be portabilizable using the configdir.ini file.

if its vista it defaults to one directory, xp to another, and then lets user override by specifying a custom config directory in that file.

looks like in my parsing of the configdir.ini file i was automatically attempting to add subdirectories to whatever you specify (DonationCoder/ScreenshotCaptor as reported) IF the manually specified directory isnt specfific enough. something like that.