ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Turning a pc on and off remotely

(1/3) > >>

mediaguycouk:
I've been talking about Wake over network recently and have successfully managed to make my computer wake from sleep (but not off) via a PHP script on my webpage.

Is there a way of making the computer go to sleep via a webpage? I'm mostly thinking of using Orb via my mobile phone so won't have access to a remote desktop connection, but I could put IIS onto the computer (Vista Enterprise SP1) if IIS could shut down the computer.

Or is there just a program that could do it (that could also be placed on a phone or loaded from a webpage).

Thank you experts!

f0dder:
Hm, you say you've been able to wake your computer from your webpage - does this mean your computer is set up as a DMZ (ie., receives all internet-traffic directly)? Or (which I hope) that you have a webserver running at home, behind a NAT, with only port 80 forwarded?

You might want to look at PsShutdown from sysinternals' PsTools - that's pretty useful for running on LANs, but I personally don't want to allow netbios (or whatever Ps* requires) traffic inwards from WAN->LAN...

mediaguycouk:
No I have router that has port 7 forwarded. Webpage is on my website, hidden away in folders and then the PHP script requires a password.

You could bypass that, but you'd need my mac address, which (I believe) doesn't leave the router.

mediaguycouk:
This video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1122288/how_to_remotely_shutdown_your_computer_with_a_cell_phone/ - reminded me of something easy.

Make outlook open automatically. Send email via phone to outlook. Outlook runs a rule on it and runs a program that can sleep the PC.

This will be fun to try :)

4wd:
Or is there just a program that could do it (that could also be placed on a phone or loaded from a webpage).

Thank you experts!
-mediaguycouk (July 16, 2008, 03:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm no expert but couldn't you just have a link on your web page that calls javascript to run the shutdown.exe command?

To put the machine into Hibernate/Sleep/Standby you'll either need the Win2000 shutdown command or a third-party version, (eg. Shutdown.zip or Wizmo), as the XP version doesn't have those options.

Or won't this work due to authorisation problems?

Having just noted your reply about the email concept, I seem to remember a free program that acted as a small email client daemon that you could send commands to, (eg. send a file, run a program, etc), but I can't remember what it was called and haven't had much luck Googling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version