ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How to maintain a reusable updatable code

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
That sounds like a pretty darned useful feature for larger projects - thanks for bringing my attention to it!

f0dder:
Finally got around to using svn:externals for a project, to include my VS project for unrar - thanks again for tipping me about it, Justice, it's a darn useful feature :)

justice:
Yeah it's definately the way to go with regards to shared code.

Only cavat I found is that if you got the setup that we have: project 'A' that includes externals 'SHARED' and a testing server + live server and you update SHARED, obviously project A isn't updated instantly. Our 'testing build' is a checkout that gets updated every time a developer commits to it. Changes in SHARED don't update 'testing' until one of us made another commit locally.

change is SHARED -> local working copy update for project A -> make change project A -> commit -> SHARED code commited.
instead of
change in SHARED -> update all testing builds that use SHARED.

OTOH that helps with testing things better but we have no formal testers.

justice:
Finally got around to using svn:externals for a project, to include my VS project for unrar - thanks again for tipping me about it, Justice, it's a darn useful feature :)
-f0dder (February 09, 2009, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Could you detail how you use it? 'for unrar'?

f0dder:
I use unrar.dll in one of my projects, and instead of stuffing unrar.lib, unrar.h, unrar.dll and just using that, I've set up my own VS2008 project for unrar (instead of using their makefile), and I pull svn://my.server/unrar/tags/3.5.8 into project/lib/unrar via svn:externals. The .vcproj for unrardll is then included in my project's .sln file, and everything is hunky-dory.

Well, except that while I can build unrar.exe just fine, something messes up when building the DLL, causing extraction to fail. Need to dig into this, but chrissake the unrar code is messy, poorly structured, and poorly written. It's almost at the level of spaghetti of 7-zip :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version