topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request: Sessions and variable arrangement  (Read 6808 times)

anatabai

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request: Sessions and variable arrangement
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Hi JGPaive,

thank you for GridMove!

I have two requests/suggestions:

1. sessions:
Position your windows and save the current arrangement. Later, e.g. after a reboot, restore the arrangement so all earlier opened windows will be opened again (just like sessions in internet browsers).

2. variable arrangement:
Instead of a rigid grid one have a completely flexible workspace. At start the first window grabs all desktop space. The 2nd window can be placed/inserted above, under, to the left or right of the first window. The 3rd window can then be placed/inserted similarly relative to the 1st or second window:
If it is placed above or under the 2nd window, the space occupied by the 2nd window is split into two equal halves, where the two windows (2nd and 3rd) are placed.
And so on with a lot of windows.
Perhaps one inconvenience is that one must handle all the positioning with the mouse, but it is the price for variability.
Some applications - like eclipse - have this feature to rearrange their GUI elements.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Sessions and variable arrangement
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Hello anatabai!

About 1)
Making sessions would involve storing the file path of the executable that owns the windows, and i don't think there's a way to access that information. (it's possible to know the name of the executable, but not its full path, afaik).
Saving a window layout to be applied when those same windows are open would be feasable and would make sense, though.

About 2)
This really is a program completely different from gridmove. Someone recently made a similar request, and i answered that there's a program that does exactly that, but unfortunatelly i still can't remember its name :(

Now, something important.
Although i'd like to implement the sessions into gridmove, that's not going to happen in the near future, as i am now finishing my university course and i don't have time for anything :(

anatabai

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Sessions and variable arrangement
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Hello anatabai!

About 1)
Making sessions would involve storing the file path of the executable that owns the windows, and i don't think there's a way to access that information. (it's possible to know the name of the executable, but not its full path, afaik).
Saving a window layout to be applied when those same windows are open would be feasable and would make sense, though.
Hi,

I thought only about explorer windows. After browsing a little bit on this forum I found a post about Microsoft's GroupBar. It has so called snapshots which is what I wanted as "sessions". It can remember the paths. But I think, it is not ripe yet. It has only a rigid (max.) 3x2 grid :(

About 2)
This really is a program completely different from gridmove. Someone recently made a similar request, and i answered that there's a program that does exactly that, but unfortunatelly i still can't remember its name :(
It would be great if you could recall it :)

i am now finishing my university course
Good luck!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:11 AM by anatabai »