topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Similar program to Ps Tray factory that works on Vista 64-bit.  (Read 38416 times)

The_Doomer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Someone know of any similar program to PS Tray Factory (http://www.pssoftlab.com/pstf_info.phtml) or SystrayX (http://www.xdesksoft...re.com/systrayx.html) that works in Windows Vista 64-bit system.
I like to se my trayicons in a meny like in PS Tray Factory.

//Regards The_Doomer
PGP Fingerprint: F8FC 92DF AAD2 D91C 1B07  01A6 118F 251B 85EC 1FCE

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Similar program to Ps Tray factory that works on Vista 64-bit.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47 PM »
if you find one let us know.

The_Doomer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:43 PM »
Howdy Mouser!

There is a beta version of Systrayx now that is 64-bit compatible.  :Thmbsup:

//Regards the_Doomer

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Thanks, The_Doomer! I've been looking for one that works in Vista x86 and this should do the trick... except that I am not a big fan of XDeskSoftware's licensing policy... Hmm...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Actually, there is a top secret link to PSTray Factory somewhere in these forums that gives access to the 64-bit version, if I remember correctly.  Hold on, let me find it...
OK, here's the actual link to the file:
http://www.pssoftlab...nload/pstrayf263.exe

And here's the thread where I found it here at DC (thanks Josh!):
PS Tray Vista (DC thread)

PS Tray Factory is my preferred program also.  I used to use SystrayX but I hate their licensing policy (especially compared to PS Tray's licensing policy) and eventually I felt the features in PS Tray were better implemented.  The good thing about SystrayX is that it "feels" powerful, but it came to a point where I thought, well, how much power do I really need for a tray management utility?  And I also remember it not handling certain things as well as PS Tray.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:49 PM by superboyac »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Huh, what? who? where?

Dunno if that is x64 capable, but give it a shot. Email the devs, that is what I did and got them to push out a vista version :) Couldn't live without this app. It saves me so much tray space!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Cheers, guys. More effusive thanks in the Tray Management mini-review thread  :Thmbsup:

The_Doomer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Howdy Again!

I have allready tried that version but it seems to work in Vista 32-bit but not in the 64-bit version of vista. Any other have that version working in Vista 64?? :huh:

//Regards The_Doomer

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Drat! I just tried the beta of PS Tray Factory (which works great under Vista 32-bit) under Windows Server 2008 64-bit and no joy...  :(

Thus consider this posting a "bump" to The_Doomer's post above  :P

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:17 PM »
I use PS Tray Factory on my XP Pro desktop, but I'm little surprised about all the comments here regarding their licensing scheme; what is so good about it? I must have missed something.

AFAIK, they limit you to using it on only one computer - can't install it on a desktop and mobile computer. And I do know that if you move to a different computer, or reinstall your OS, you must get a new registration code. Their registration code only works once - no reinstalling with that code.

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 04:18 PM »
AFAIK, they limit you to using it on only one computer - can't install it on a desktop and mobile computer. And I do know that if you move to a different computer, or reinstall your OS, you must get a new registration code.

I've never had any trouble reinstalling PS Tray Factory using an existing registartion code. Actually... your post, and writing this one, has lead me to look at my PS Tray Factory licences - I've purchased two, 11 months apart, and both have the exact same licence key, AFAICT. Odd (and worrying). I have looked at the original e-mails and compared them side by side - they both have different order numbers.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 12:13 AM »
That's odd. After reinstalling XP Pro earlier this year I could not register PS Tray Factory; kept saying my code was invalid. I wrote the developer and he sent me a new key and told me exactly what I posted above.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 08:15 AM »
That's odd. After reinstalling XP Pro earlier this year I could not register PS Tray Factory; kept saying my code was invalid. I wrote the developer and he sent me a new key and told me exactly what I posted above.

Jim

That's odd, then, isn't it?! I'm concerned about having twin licences, so to speak, from separate purchases. I'm now wondering it two things are operating to have made this possible for me: the first licence I purchased is applied on my XP Pro machine and it's likely that I've never re-installed it/re-applied the serial as I use Acronis True Image when my system is rendered unstable by acts of stupidity on my part. The other possibility that occurs to me is that I've only ever used the beta version for Vista and Windows Server 2008. Although I've entered the serial number that I have for the second licence for those installs (same notebook - I swap the harddrives), it's possible that the beta doesn't actually require a serial number. Having said that, I *did* originally purchase the second licence for an installation of TrayFactory on my wife's now deceased XP Home notebook... that installation shouldn't have worked, though, because the licence is identical to the one already appllied on my own XP Pro machine. Bizarre!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Hey Michael,

I just re-read the email from the developer after this happened to me in February - when I last reinstalled XP Pro on my desktop computer - and saw this little gem in there:

It is planned that this key file will work with all future versions of
PS Tray Factory. Should any changes be required,
I'll provide you with a new key file (free of charge, of course).

If you lose your key file and need to re-install PS Tray Factory, just
drop a note to [email protected] and I'll send it to you again.

So it would appear that the problem I encountered back then should not happen anymore! (I think I already knew that from reading that in February, but I was only remembering the problem I had leading to this email!)

Cool! I stand corrected, reprimanded, and properly back in my place!   - Well, it actually was correct info at the time of my issues with it.   :-[  But I should have been positive in my assertion, that it was still an issue. It is not!

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Thanks for posting back, Jim. I'm going to stop worrying about it. I suspect that because I bought the second licence through the same account as I did the first (ie same e-mail address and cc), a second "seat" was enabled on the original key. It's the only explanation that makes sense. I haven't written the developer yet, but will do so and post back if I get a response.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 02:04 AM »
Thanks for posting back, Jim. I'm going to stop worrying about it. I suspect that because I bought the second licence through the same account as I did the first (ie same e-mail address and cc), a second "seat" was enabled on the original key. It's the only explanation that makes sense. I haven't written the developer yet, but will do so and post back if I get a response.

Well, I imagine it depends on when you made the purchases. The email I received with the new registration info (the one I quoted above) indicates that all registration codes from then on will work for more than one installation. Keeping in line with the license, of course. So if you had purchased either or both prior to Feb 2008 those codes are probably limited. Or perhaps his server no longer requires the activation in the same way. That would explain why they are different.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I wrote to the developer immediately after making the post above no word, yet, but I'll report back when I do hear form him or her. What has me a bit puzzled is that the purchases were made in 2006... so well before Feb 2008.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Back at the time we had a 50% discount I assume. I think I'd be tempted with that, but not otherwise since I do have some level of control over it the system tray already.

Note correction made to improve clarity. Approx 6 hours after original. I would not like a 30 minute cut off for edits.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:50 PM by Dormouse »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 02:14 PM »
I have used the one and same license key on three computers. No contact with the company was necessary.

But I still think PS Tray Factory is a little "hard" on the computer. Everytime I have clicked anything inside the popup and is "closing" the popup again, the CPU will speed up its use. It have done so on both Win 2000 and XP, and to a minor degree even on my new quad core Vista. Maybe I have another (a third) program that is causing a conflict?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:16 PM by Curt »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Note correction made to improve clarity. Approx 6 hours after original. I would not like a 30 minute cut off for edits.
haha!  I agree. ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 05:07 PM »
even on my new quad core Vista.

Now you're just showing off!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 05:15 PM »
But I still think PS Tray Factory is a little "hard" on the computer. Everytime I have clicked anything inside the popup and is "closing" the popup again, the CPU will speed up its use.

I just checked this with Vista, XP and Win2k. Under Vista (dual core processor) there is a micro-second blip to 1% when I click on the tray icon and another blip to 15% when I open the main window. XP Pro (single core) oddly sits at 1-3% CPU usage even when "quiet" and goes to 17% when I click on the tray icon and 29% when I open the main window. Under Win2k (PIIE-E - equivalent to about 1/4 core by today's standards!) sits between 0 and 1% all the time, goes to 5% when I click on the tray icon and to 17% when I open the main window. Under both XP and Win2k, CPU utilization is elevated until I close out the window I am viewing (either the context menu for tray icon or the main window).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 07:02 PM »
- thanks for testing, Darwin. I clearly must have some programs clashing one way or another.

And regarding the showing off: It only lasted three days, didn't it
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:36 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 07:09 PM »
- thanks for testing, Darwin. I clearly must have some programs clashing one way or another.

And regarding the showing off: It only lasted three days, didn't it.  ;)

Ouch! When I read that post originally, I didn't realise that the whole machine was out of commission (though of course, it would be, now that I think about it). Sorry you're having trouble with it and I hope all is well soon.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 07:55 PM »
- thanks for the empathy, Darwin :-)  Once again I received a PC without a CD, and again it just might take forever to get my hands upon one - I still have my Win 2000 standing in the corner, laughing at me because I never managed to get an installation CD to repair it. The same goes for the XP, but at least it is still running. I really must learn to accept the extra cost and get it all right from the beginning, the next time I am about to purchase a computer.