ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone Here Using a Drobo?

<< < (7/8) > >>

J-Mac:
That sounds promising.  I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?

Jim

cranioscopical:
I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?
-J-Mac (July 22, 2008, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hard to say, but it's good to know that my system here is finally f}¦Åd, what a relief!

cthorpe:
I wonder if the first recursive acronym is GNU (GNU's Not Unix) which Stallman came up with in the mid-eighties.  Anybody aware of an earlier one?
-mwb1100 (July 19, 2008, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym:

In computing, an early tradition in the hacker community (especially at MIT) was to choose acronyms and abbreviations that referred humorously to themselves or to other abbreviations. Perhaps the earliest example in this context, from about 1977 or 1978, is TINT ("TINT Is Not TECO"), an editor for MagicSix. This inspired the two MIT Lisp Machine editors called EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs") and ZWEI ("ZWEI Was EINE Initially"). These were followed by Richard Stallman's GNU (GNU's not UNIX). Many others also include negatives, such as denials that the thing defined is or resembles something (that the thing defined is, in fact, usually similar to).
--- End quote ---

and

In Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, published 1979, Douglas Hofstadter uses the acronym GOD, 'GOD Over Djinn'. As a genie explains to Achilles, GOD stands for GOD Over Djinn, remarking that "GOD can never be fully expanded." In the German translation it is rendered as "ZEUS ewig über Dschinn", meaning "Zeus eternally over Djinn".
--- End quote ---

tomos:
That sounds promising.  I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?
--- End quote ---

have you seen the thread about the guy working in MS ?
Article: take a peek into MS Windows development

J-Mac:
--- End quote ---

have you seen the thread about the guy working in MS ?
Article: take a peek into MS Windows development
-tomos (July 23, 2008, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't tempt me, Tom!  I am already 90% convinced that my next desktop computer will be a Mac.  I don't need anymore incentive...

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version