topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone Here Using a Drobo?  (Read 21386 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone Here Using a Drobo?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 06:23 PM »
SNAFU has always seemed like a fine comment on the world in general at just about all times and places. ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 04:10 PM »
SNAFU has always seemed like a fine comment on the world in general at just about all times and places. ;)

SNAFUs frequently turn out to be JOOTTs.

From the Information Security Glossary:
JOOTT

Pronounced 'Jute'; it stands for 'Just One Of Those Things'. Sooner or later every organisation/user will run into problems which are not amenable to logical or technical solutions, or even plain common sense. JOOTT is used to describe those inexplicable computer problems which fix themselves, or are fixed by turning off the machine and restarting, or in more persistent cases, reinstalling the software.

[If] Nobody knows what caused the problem, or why it went away, it was JOOTT!

edit by jgpaiva: fixed color tag
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:12 PM by jgpaiva »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54 PM »
SNAFU has been dated back as far as 1941 and FUBAR back to 1944 (both US Army slang now in general use)
-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2008, 05:22 PM)

I remember playing a video game 20 years ago on the Intellivision called SNAFU. I had no idea what it meant, but even today I have fond memories of steering my snake/worm thing around trying not to get trapped in a corner or have my tail eaten off. I can even remember the music. Just goes to show how commonplace that (rather obscene (for kids)) term has become since it was originally coined.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52 PM »
SNAFU has been dated back as far as 1941 and FUBAR back to 1944 (both US Army slang now in general use)
-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2008, 05:22 PM)

I remember playing a video game 20 years ago on the Intellivision called SNAFU. I had no idea what it meant, but even today I have fond memories of steering my snake/worm thing around trying not to get trapped in a corner or have my tail eaten off. I can even remember the music. Just goes to show how commonplace that (rather obscene (for kids)) term has become since it was originally coined.

It's interesting that what started as a descriptive phrase has entered the language as a noun.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20 PM »
This word just in!

Microsoft promises data corruption fix in final Home Server Power Pack
By Nate Mook, BetaNews
July 21, 2008, 4:13 PM

7 months of beta testing later, Microsoft is finally ready to say it has squashed the data corruption bug that has plagued Windows Home Server since its launch last year, releasing the final build of Power Pack 1 to existing customers and OEMs.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 01:11 PM »
That sounds promising.  I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?

Jim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 01:40 PM »
I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?
Hard to say, but it's good to know that my system here is finally f}¦Åd, what a relief!

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I wonder if the first recursive acronym is GNU (GNU's Not Unix) which Stallman came up with in the mid-eighties.  Anybody aware of an earlier one?

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia....ki/Recursive_acronym:

In computing, an early tradition in the hacker community (especially at MIT) was to choose acronyms and abbreviations that referred humorously to themselves or to other abbreviations. Perhaps the earliest example in this context, from about 1977 or 1978, is TINT ("TINT Is Not TECO"), an editor for MagicSix. This inspired the two MIT Lisp Machine editors called EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs") and ZWEI ("ZWEI Was EINE Initially"). These were followed by Richard Stallman's GNU (GNU's not UNIX). Many others also include negatives, such as denials that the thing defined is or resembles something (that the thing defined is, in fact, usually similar to).

and

In Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, published 1979, Douglas Hofstadter uses the acronym GOD, 'GOD Over Djinn'. As a genie explains to Achilles, GOD stands for GOD Over Djinn, remarking that "GOD can never be fully expanded." In the German translation it is rendered as "ZEUS ewig über Dschinn", meaning "Zeus eternally over Djinn".

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47 AM »
That sounds promising.  I wonder what could cause such a forbidding bug and take all that time to fix?

have you seen the thread about the guy working in MS ?
Article: take a peek into MS Windows development
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 02:32 PM »

have you seen the thread about the guy working in MS ?
Article: take a peek into MS Windows development

Don't tempt me, Tom!  I am already 90% convinced that my next desktop computer will be a Mac.  I don't need anymore incentive...

Thanks!

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Don't tempt me, Tom!  I am already 90% convinced that my next desktop computer will be a Mac.  I don't need anymore incentive...

NIX.jpg

What would you like to smack today?

You could always download a live Linux distro from Distrowatch and try that.

www.distrowatch.com

Just a thought. 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:04 PM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30 PM »
40hz,

Sorry, I'm not quite ready for Linux just yet.  If I drop Windows it is not going to be for another platform that requires full-time tweaking!  At least on a Mac I wouldn't have to tweak very much, if anything.

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 09:25 PM »
40hz,

Sorry, I'm not quite ready for Linux just yet.  If I drop Windows it is not going to be for another platform that requires full-time tweaking!  At least on a Mac I wouldn't have to tweak very much, if anything.

Jim

That hasn't been my experience with OSX. Hope your Mac experience offers smoother sailing than mine. My first Mac (SE30) ran System 6.0.4. That wasn't exactly maintenance free. Nor have any of the other iterations (from 7.0.1 right up through OSX-Leopard) been what I'd consider set & forget systems. Ditto for their hardware. I do tech support and service on Apple products, and I use one, so I'm not basing my opinion on propaganda from Bill-G or Tux. Apple makes a fine product. But Macs can be skittish. Like all Thoroughbreds. ;)

I'm also not sure what you mean by full-time tweaking. Linux updates are available for download via a system updater just like you have on a Windows or Mac box. You're not required to do anything if you don't want to. Many Linux users install their distro and use it "as is" without ever changing anything. That's the beauty of the beast. You do as much or as little system work as you're comfortable doing. Tux keeps on chugging either way.

There's also a thing called WUBI that lets you install Ubuntu almost as if it were an application. If you don't like it, you can just go to your Add/Remove Program control panel and uninstall it like any other app. Doesn't touch your Windows environment at all! Great if you just want to get your feet wet, or make up your own mind instead of listening to what the rumor mills (and me for that matter  ;D) have to say about NIX.

Either way, whenever (or if ever) you're ready, Tux is waiting with open arms. 8)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:39 PM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 01:24 AM »
40hz,

I know that a Mac won't be perfect out of the box.  What is?  But it should require a lot less than what I have now!  Shoot, I'm reinstalling Windows at least twice a year, constantly looking for conflicts, trying to find out what I installed (or removed?) that is causing long shutdowns - or startups, etc., etc.

Plus every single article I have read - whether on mainstream sites like ComputerWorld, PC Mag, etc.  or tech sites - state up front that you had better not think you will be getting away from the constant tweaking that Windows requires with Linux, but that Linux in all its various distro's requires a serious amount of care, feeding, and of course, tweaking.   :)

Jim