ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PING archive not able to delete 10 GB

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
^In this particular case, I think it's more  problem of an illegal character (the ending period)  being written in the filename rather than the file itself being locked. You'll see this happen sometimes if you use an external drive to backup Macintosh files. Apple allows several characters that aren't allowed in Windows. Some of which result in certain files being unreachable and therefor non-deletable by Windows.

Since PING is Linux based, it doesn't have a problem with you using an ending period in a file name...but Windows does.

IIRC, the period is used as a pointer to the topmost directory in a file path, and a double period is used to point to one directory level up from the current directory. Or something like that. (It's been awhile since I've paid attention to that sort of thing in Windows.) If you run the DIR command you'll see the two top directories in the file list are always .<DIR> and ..<DIR>

The double-dot  can be used as a shorthand way of saying "one level up" for the cd command. If you're in a directory like C:\level1\level2\level3 and you enter cd.. you'll find yourself up one level in C:\level1\level2! (Yay! That's a lot less typing than having to enter: cd level1\level2
 :)

tomos:

^ second double post seen in the last while,
is it something in the air... :P

40hz:
-tomos (September 26, 2011, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Noticed that too. Did an edit/save, then another edit/save and it happened. S'up with that?  :o

tomos:
-tomos (September 26, 2011, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Noticed that too. Did an edit/save, then another edit/save and it happened. S'up with that?  :o
-40hz (September 26, 2011, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

must be something broken on the forum?

hulkbuster:
Grab a copy of a Linux "live" CD.

Boot from the CD and you should be able to delete the file from within Linux using its file manager.  

I'd suggest using the PCman FM file utility on the PartedMagic Linux utility distro.
 :)
-40hz (September 26, 2011, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you 40hz, that was a brilliant solution you provided, you see i already had Ubuntu 11.4 in the pendrive Drive  made by YUMI: (detail about YUMI).

I choose Ubuntu 11.4 and from the Explorer i could see the folder and it opened it successfully, i agree it too it must have been placing of the illegal character: in Windows it would ususually erase the dot[.] if i made a folder. But here PING 3.0 made it and windows was having a hard time, i tried Barter PE and DOS to try to remove the Folder but there too it showed the same problem.
   But it was removed from Ubuntu 11.4, thank you all for your invaluable suggestion, keep it real.......

P.S: GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version