topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request (v2?)  (Read 9668 times)

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request (v2?)
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Anybody else think it would be useful to have FARR also provide "Start->Run" like functionality?  I'd love to only have to use one tool to launch all my programs, docs, and folders via the kbd.  Bascially, if it starts with a drive letter (x:), or a backslash (\), then function like the run dialog, otherwise, do the normal FARR search/alias stuff.

BTW, I just started using it this week, and I love it.  But I'd really like to be able to launch arbitrary folders and programs, that aren't in my folder list.  Any pointers on how this could be accomplished with the existing version?  At a minimum, I could just launch the run dialog from FARR, but I was hoping to cut down on the steps, and not have to think about "do I hit Win+R, or Alt+'? (I use Alt+' since it's closed to home row than Pause, and I don't like losing the normal Alt-Space function.)

TIA

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request (v2?)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 02:59 PM »
jon -
i've added an alias to do exactly what you are asking -
the next version of F+R will be out in the next week or so and include a whole set of preconfigured aliases, including one to let you easily surf to web pages, and run applications as you say, and do lots of other stuff.

but here's a quick screenshot of the alias to do what you want, after you add it just type, for example: run notepad.exe

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 03:54 PM »
Heh heh, how did I know an alias would work!?  I think we should relabel alias' as "mouser's panacea."  However, it is amazing just how powerful they can be... just gotta get your head wrapped around them!

Kevin

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 04:02 PM »
I had thought of that already, and it's definitely useful, but that doesn't give me the autocomplete on filename/pathnames that the run dialog gives me.  That's really what I was after. :)

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Sorry. I just re-read my original post, and I realized I didn't mention the auto-complete there, specifically.  Anyway, that's what I was really looking for. Thanks again.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40 PM »
good point - let me think about that..

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 01:38 AM »
I have a couple of ideas, at least on interface/user interaction.

How about if the first thing you type into the input field is a space, switch to auto-complete mode instead of the default search mode. You'd need an indicator to show what mode you're in I suppose, and subsequent hits on the spacebar in the first column of the field would toggle modes.  I have no idea how you'd go about doing the actual autocomplete part, but that's why you're the coder, right?

Another method would be to have 2 fields instead of one. The second would be the equivalent of the Run dialog, and would only require you to hit tab to swtich from primary to secondary fields... I don't like this idea as much as the first one, since it would mean you'd need to tab twice to get to the search list.

Hmmm. What if, when you hold down the activation hotkey it starts up in the alternate mode. Same keys involved, just a change in behavior when held vs tapped.  Double tapping the hot-key is another option.   Or maybe rather than closing/hiding FARR on a second tap of the hotkey, swith to auto-complete mode.  You would still have the Esc key as a means of closing the window.

Ok, enough ideas for one day. Feel free to use any, all, or none of them. :)

Hmm. I just found something interesting -- if I hold Alt+' (my custom trigger hotkey for FARR), then not only does the FARR window flicker in and out, it slowly shrinks from the right, one pixel at a time. Wierd.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 02:42 AM »
i just confirmed the hotkey holding thing - it's probably a side effect of some kludge i use to force a readjust of column sizes - i'll look into it for the next release.

regarding auto-complete.

keep the following in mind:
if for example you type "run notepad" and hit enter, it will run notepad.
it will also add notepad to its list of recently launched programs, where it will by default appear in the result list ready to be triggered by quick numberkey press.
becase its in the recently launched list you can also start typing "notepad" and you should see it at the top of the list almost immediately ready for launching; again hitting return (once or twice depending on options set) will launch it.

i guess i'm just trying to say that F+R really aims to work more on a priority-list model as opposed to a single auto-complete model, and i think for the most part this tends to work better (at least for me) than a single-best-match autocomplete.

you can also add applications to alias groups which makes it very easy to make sort of named groups that you can quickly call up and choose from.

having said that - we have talked before about having a kind of button to reveal a set of advanced searching features like directory restrictions, etc., and i'm always open to discussing that more.

it also takes a little while to adjust to a new system - and i'd be interested to hear if you still miss autocomplete after using the program for a while..

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Thanks.  I do understand that they are totally different methods for finding and launching progs/docs.  And it will take a little time to develop that muscle memory so it becomes second nature for me. 

I think if I could find a way to launch the run dialog programmatically, then I could bind an arbitrary hot-key to launch it, and have say, alt+; for run, and alt+' for farr.  Since I haven't found a way to do that (launch from cli or other program), I'll probably have to settle for a Run clone to use in conjunction with farr, which I can live with.

BTW, if you haven't already tried PowerPro, you should check it out.  It's been the one util I can't live without, but I think farr could well join it on that pedastal. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 11:41 AM »
muscle memory is exactly right :)

powerpro has been discussed on this forum quite a bit, it seems to be one of those programs that can do everything, but is a bit hard to get into.

you might be interested in checking out autohotkey if you haven't - it seems to have an equal standing here in terms of being one of those amazing automation programs (it's a scripting tool) that can do anything.

and for a taste of what it can do, check out Skrommel's page of 40 little utilities made with it on this site:
https://www.donation.../Skrommel/index.html

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I had already pulled a few of his utils down, including the ahk versions of some of them.

I use powerpro mostly for binding actions to hotkeys,  window control (hide, ontop, size-to-WxH, etc), and a couple of screen bars.  Lately I have started doing more with it for general scripting.  The only reason I don't use a better language/tool for the scripts is that I already have ppro running so for small stuff it's faster, albeit more of a pain to code sometimes.

I think maybe my solution to the Run dialog would be to bind Alt+; to send Win+R.  Let's hope that will actually work. :)