ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer mods: What odd things have you done?

(1/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, I type with a sore and somewhat bloody finger due to my last undertaking of using my computer for more than a computer. This one is a bit strange (and I do some weird stuff sometimes! ;D)

My yearly PC mod (I remove it at fall/winter because it is no longer needed):
Computer air conditioning/fan (with instructions)
SpoilerI took an old fan out of my now-dead HP computer, and plugged it in - this thing spins at least 2x faster than the 120MM fans in my computer (those are $20 each, too) - hence the bloody/sore finger (I did it twice, the first drew blood). This fan has a REALLY long cable, being about 8" long!
On NewEgg a few months ago I bought some 4-pin to 4-pin+3-pin (fan) connector dealies. They take an existing 4-pin power connector and steal part of the power for the fan, then allow you to continue the power strand along. These things have about a 6" cable.

Now for some reason, probobally my fault, the "Front Fan" mobo fan connector doesn't work on this PC anymore (it is worth noting that I almost slammed a hole into the motherboard trying to connect the fan to the port before continuing on farther in my explanation - the needlenose slipped and... well, thank god I have a good PC case ;D). So here is what I did (and you can do for ~$10 from Newegg, plus shipping and tax of course):

* Remove side panel (duh!)
* Take power from 3rd hard drive cable, route it through fan adapter, and back into hard drive (you can use any 4-pin connector to do this)
* With side panel off, position fan where you would like it to blow (obviously)
* Position fan cable to go INTO the door jam where your door slides on (this does NOT work for the old school "snap closed" PC doors, sorry!) - make sure the cable will not block the door until the very front, so it will be the least noticeable; IT WILL FORCE YOUR DOOR TO STAY OPEN (a millimeter or so, but some people are picky...)
* Set the door out of the way if you haven't already
* Connect fan connector to 3-pin connector on the router you installed earlier. THE FAN WILL START SPINNING if the PC is on, so WATCH YOUR FINGERS! (I should take my own advice)
* Move the to the side a bit, and slide the door over to the PC, and slide it on as normal
* Stop before you smash the fan power cable and make any last minute movements to get it to sit in the jam, but where it won't be crushed
* Close the door to your liking
* Position the fan to your liking
* Optional: If you have a REALLY fast fan like mine that literally knocks itself over, put it in front of your monitor or something
* Enjoy your new A/C

So fellow DC'ers, what have you done to change your computer (physically)?*
*Beating/smashing/crushing computer does not count as a modification ;D

f0dder:
Once upon a time was...

A SHEEPBOX! (~10meg mpeg, from around 1999).

This was before people really started doing casemods and the like, so when we brought it to TP99, people thought it was pretty fun. We all lost interest in casemods after all the kiddies with their cathode tubes and plexiglass windows started doing it, though... no more fun and innovation, just mindless bling-bling :)

EDIT: I should mention that the sheep's eyes are LEDs connected to the harddisk activity pins, and that it has a PC speaker mounted in it's chest :)

p3lb0x:
I believe we still have the sheepbox somewhere at home if you want it fodder. But I am not sure what condition it is in

f0dder:
I believe we still have the sheepbox somewhere at home if you want it fodder. But I am not sure what condition it is in-p3lb0x (July 13, 2008, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Pretty disassembled (I think mobo+cpu have been thrown out), and the case itself isn't in super good condition. But at least the sheep is probably still alive :)

cranioscopical:
Pretty disassembled (I think mobo+cpu have been thrown out)-f0dder
--- End quote ---

I hope you kept the ram!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version