ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Windows 7's Taskbar....Err.....Circle Dock for the DC Programming Contest

<< < (20/28) > >>

VideoInPicture:
I just installed Alpha 9.2-6 on my desktop computer running XP Pro.  Couple of comments:

First, I noticed several remnants of closed windows that are visible on my Desktop; actually I can see them in any application. Finally figured out that it's the bottom and right edge of the Start Menu that opens when I Left-click on the center icon in Circle Dock.  Doesn't appear to be affecting anything but they sure are annoying!  BTW, they won't go away at all unless I restart my system.  Anyone know a way to clear these without rebooting?

Second, for future consideration, please make the program icons changeable.  Presently you must remove programs altogether and place a new one on the dock to effect a change.

A question: What image files are acceptable for CD icons?  I see that PNG's are provided, but are JPG, ICO, and/or TGA image files OK?

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (August 21, 2008, 12:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

The residual start menu shadows are a known issue and it is being looked at right now. Look in this thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14478.0 for a way to remedy it. For the Alpha 7 release this weekend, I'm making the middle button not show the start menu by the default and you have to enable it in the Settings Panel and their will be a note about how you must turn off "Show shadows under menus" in Windows. Also, I'm not sure what I did, but the shadow residue now disappears when I exit out of Circle Dock in Alpha 7.

As for your second point, I'm not too clear on that. Are you just trying to change the image used for the dock icon? You can just do this by right-clicking on the dock icon you want and select "Change Icon" and go browsing for a PNG image you want to substitute. Note: I actually introduced a little bug from Alpha 5 to Alpha 6: you might get another right-click menu shown after you have used the original right-click menu, this has already been fixed in Alpha 7.

Any PNG image is acceptable. You can use the same PNG icon images from Rocket Dock and Object Dock. Other file formats are not accepted because they generally do not have the alpha channel data required for an alpha-blended dock.

J-Mac:
The residual start menu shadows are a known issue and it is being looked at right now. Look in this thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14478.0 for a way to remedy it. For the Alpha 7 release this weekend, I'm making the middle button not show the start menu by the default and you have to enable it in the Settings Panel and their will be a note about how you must turn off "Show shadows under menus" in Windows. Also, I'm not sure what I did, but the shadow residue now disappears when I exit out of Circle Dock in Alpha 7.-VideoInPicture (August 21, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow!  Fast reply, Eric!  That sounds good - looks like you found a solution for this by what I call a "happy accident"!

As for your second point, I'm not too clear on that. Are you just trying to change the image used for the dock icon? You can just do this by right-clicking on the dock icon you want and select "Change Icon" and go browsing for a PNG image you want to substitute. Note: I actually introduced a little bug from Alpha 5 to Alpha 6: you might get another right-click menu shown after you have used the original right-click menu, this has already been fixed in Alpha 7.-VideoInPicture (August 21, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, changing the icon isn't a problem here - though I did notice that the Right-Click menu does change to a kind of "hybrid" after a few instances; looks like my regular Windows context menu with Change Icon and Remove added to the top.  What I meant was actually changing the application shortcut via the right-click menu.  Similar to OD+.

Any PNG image is acceptable. You can use the same PNG icon images from Rocket Dock and Object Dock. Other file formats are not accepted because they generally do not have the alpha channel data required for an alpha-blended dock.-VideoInPicture (August 21, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK.  Though I believe that the TGA (Targus) image file format has even more/better alpha-channel capabilities than PNG.

Thank you.

Jim

VideoInPicture:
@J-Mac - Hopefully theWizard can find a better solution to the start menu shadow residue problem than the hacks that I've been messing around with. One method I've created works and doesn't leave any shadow residue but it cause flickering, which just won't do.

For changing the application shortcut via the right-click menu, that is on my todo list. There will be a properties box for each icon that allows you to view and edit it's properties.

I haven't heard of the Targus format before and I don't believe I can use it effectively in Circle Dock because it isn't supported by .Net and I haven't seen a good library of icon images for that file format before.

J-Mac:
No problem, Eric.  The TGA icons became very popular among Pocket PC/Windows Mobile developers because of their relatively small size compared to PNG, and their use of alpha channels and transparent pixels.  A lot of icons for those devices were used particularly after the advent of VGA touch screens.

I'll send you some URLs if you're interested, though I imagine that the relatively large size of PNG images don't cause you any problems.

Thanks!

Jim

sealight:
I don't know if someone has already reported these issues, please apologize me if that is the case.

- I'm running Circle Dock 0.9.2 Alpha Preview 6 on Windows Server 2008 x64 and the icon rotation (with the mouse scroll wheel or cursor key) don't always work.
Sometimes is necessary to click on CircleDock center in order to make it work.

- One thing that would be nice to have is the option to hide the CircleDock after we open a link (that way we wouldn't need to hit the mouse center button again).

- I can't find an option for renaming a DockFolder - probably it's an issue with this Alpha Preview - I had to rename it on the .ini file

Please keep on this amazing work! Has it some kind of relation with the future Windows 7 release (or is it just a "wish to have toolbar")?

(Added: Some Icon highlight on mouseover would be nice too...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version