ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unwanted explorer window at bootup

(1/2) > >>

jojo99:
I am using AVG Pro AV (v8).  Whenever I reboot, a new Explorer window opens up pointing to the AVG root folder.  I have checked all the usual auto startup registry and other start locations but see nothing that would kick off an Explorer window.

I sent a couple of emails to AVG but have not gotten any return replies (so I would not recommend that anyone upgrade to the AVG Pro).

Any ideas? 

jgpaiva:
I sent a couple of emails to AVG but have not gotten any return replies (so I would not recommend that anyone upgrade to the AVG Pro).
-jojo99 (July 12, 2008, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's really not good news, thank you for informing us all about it.
Have you tried using Autoruns? For me, it's the best program to know what's starting with my computer. Just check out the "logon" tab, there probably is something there that shouldn't be ;)

lanux128:
it looks like AVG had left behind an unwanted registry key. try the fix mentioned in this thread and see if that solves the problem.

jojo99:
Thanks lanux128 for pointing me to that other thread.  Looking at the AVG commands in the RUN registry key I found that AVG had put ending quotes in the wrong place for one of the components that start at bootup time.  This was the apparent cause of the problem.

Still, I am disappointed that AVG failed to respond to my email messages where they should have been able to easily point me to the problem (as I am sure I am not the first person to experience this with their software).  I understand that with the free version of AVG, there is no support.  But if you don't get nay support with the paid (Pro) version either, then why pay for it in the first place?

cmpm:
Recently I have found that I've needed to uninstall and reinstall AVG to have the current version. Perhaps it's my setup. I don't know.

It was getting def updates but not program updates.
And hanging on updates in all three versions.
And the cpu was not maxed.

After the third time I dumped the darn thing.

The first version was giving me hundreds of warnings about things that were not on my pc. The rest of the versions were quirky as well.

Improve the performance please AVG, not it's look.

I'll wait a long while before trying AVG again.
Not upset, but maybe they should explain.

I have heard of many switching to other AV's.
I hope they are listening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version