topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Reliable web page capture...  (Read 66670 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Reliable web page capture...
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2008, 10:31 AM »
I actually like evernote(even the lates one) But it is a pain in the neck to get multiple data out of it.   I tried Ultrarecall as well and that one was pretty cool. But again that app was more than capturing web pages. I am actually looking for something more specialized, something that just focueses on capturing content and exporting.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2008, 03:08 PM »
I actually like evernote(even the lates one) But it is a pain in the neck to get multiple data out of it.   I tried Ultrarecall as well and that one was pretty cool. But again that app was more than capturing web pages. I am actually looking for something more specialized, something that just focueses on capturing content and exporting.

have you tried Surfulater - I've no idea if it does what you want but
I see the new version 3 has been released and it sounds very interesting
http://blog.surfulat...-version-3-released/
Tom

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Some people seem to love surfulater.  Personally, I tried it but it is nowhere near what I am looking for. I could not drag and drop any image from any place. It accepts them as attachments only which is totally useless really.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I actually like evernote(even the lates one) But it is a pain in the neck to get multiple data out of it.   I tried Ultrarecall as well and that one was pretty cool. But again that app was more than capturing web pages. I am actually looking for something more specialized, something that just focueses on capturing content and exporting.

I know you've tried InfoQube (aka SQLNotes) a while back. It does reliable web-page capture. What would be missing to be the solution for your current needs:

1- FF and IE context menu (to copy content)?
2- Simplified UI?
3- Integrated editing pane (à la EN) where items and content can be created in a single window?
4- Other...
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2008, 04:44 PM »
PPLandry, I love SQlNotes. But I just did not have time to integrate into my workflow. I am hoping that when I have time I will move to it at some point. I just have already established setup and you know it really takes time to move to some another pipeline.

The main thing I hate about most of the scrapbook and info managers is that they want to gobble up everything but when it comes to giving away data(exporting) things are not that easy. Exporting and sharing data is very overlooked, which makes it a very strict workflow, especially if you choose one that has virtually no export features. And that is why I like flat file database stuff because at least I can actually get in to the folders and delete stuff, check out files etc. For that reason I stick to Wikidpad for long time because it is just simple plain text with some advanced tagging. If I want to import into something else I do not need developers to program an exporter. I can just copy and paste the plain text or import as plain text.

What I want is to be able to drag and drop data(mainly image files maybe). Dragging and dropping should be both ways. For example I want to be able to drag images from FF to the app btu also drag images from the app to explorer or another program(if it supports). I am not interested in going through save dialogs folder s etc. Sometimes I need to capture 10s of images for a half day project. So my time is generally very limited when it comes to finding out enough refrence and data to start and finish my job. Can you imagine everytime I need to save an image , i need to right click-open and save( in a very tight project deadline) ? It really does not make sense and too much effort for quick stuff.

-Drag and drop(multiple directions)

-Option to embed the image as thumbnail or full image. For example if I drag with ctrl(pressed) it embeds into apps page as thumbnail(also keeps the original image), otherwise it embeds as full image(normal d$d)

-Ability to capture time of the capture, originating web page, originating document or name of the exe file, other possible information that can be extracted from the origin. And I really want this app to put all the info about the image into IPTC field of the image, if the format supports it. Optionally a snapshot of the page could be captured besdie the image so that the user has a sense of reference as where the image was coming from

-Ability to paste images from clipboard

-Ability to paste images to clipboard

-Ability to edit the image wiothout going through the save and import loop. Basically I will select right click-edit image. Open it in photoshop save it. When the image is saved the file will be updated in the scrapbook document

-Simple cropping and resizing (to keep things simple and file size smaller)

-Ability yo create thumbnail or storyboard page from the ref images

-Ability to export selected images and pages in various formats like, html, pdf, only images, only text, putting them in subfolders or not etc

-Capture mode. This mode will work like this. When I press capture mode, the app will ask me to choose a window, for example one FF window. When I select FF window, the app would resize both itself and selected FFwindow. SO I will have 2 windows opened, sitting next to eachother. In this mode I can drag from FF to the host app easily.

-Ability to drag and drop into different topics(if the app has a tree)

-Ability to drag and drop into the tree and the app would ask me if I want to create a new topic(node) or embed into the page or just attach as a file to the topic(node)

These are things that I basically look for. I can come up with a longer list, and better usability ideas if you are seriously interested in since takes time to make a list and discusss :)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:46 PM by kartal »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2008, 07:32 PM »

I know you've tried InfoQube (aka SQLNotes) a while back. It does reliable web-page capture. What would be missing to be the solution for your current needs:

1- FF and IE context menu (to copy content)?
2- Simplified UI?
3- Integrated editing pane (à la EN) where items and content can be created in a single window?
4- Other...

Pierre,

How can I capture web pages w/IQ (SQLNotes)?  The default hotkey, Win+N doesn’t work for me, and it can't be changed - or at least it couldn’t in the 9.23 versions. Don’t know if it was fixed in the latest version - has it?

Actually you could change the hotkey in Options but it doesn’t work after changing it.

Thanks!

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59 PM »
It was fixed. You need to restart the program after changing the hot key. What hot key did you set it to?
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008, 11:12 PM »
It was fixed. You need to restart the program after changing the hot key. What hot key did you set it to?

Didn't yet this time. When we talked about it on the IQ forum, I tried several different combinations but none seemed to take. IIRC, Armando tried it also and found it wasn’t working at that time for him either. I hadn't tried again till now since I never saw anything posted anywhere that it had been fixed.

Jim

PS - I sure wish that there was a way in Windows to see all hotkeys that are already assigned to applications. Some apps grab hotkeys without even telling you about it; you don’t see then till you accidently invoke one. Hope I pick a "free" one.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:14 PM by J-Mac »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Pierre,

Not working still. I tried a few: Shft+Alt+N, Ctrl+Alt+N. Nothing happens at all.

When did you try to fix this? It was reported as non-working on your forum on October 23.

Jim

OK, after a restart it worked. Kinda. It opens a dialog for me to paste text into, so I have to first highlight and copy content from a web page. However it also wants a URL pasted, so I have to bring up the page again, highlight and copy the URL, then focus back on the dialog and paste the URL. The result does not look anything like the web page; just a cell filled with plain text.

It appears to just be copy/paste of text into a cell. Not sure I would compare that to capturing web pages, unless there is more to it, though I cannot find any instruction or documentation of this anywhere except your post. Is there more somewhere?

Thank you.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:26 PM by J-Mac »

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 12:53 AM »

PS - I sure wish that there was a way in Windows to see all hotkeys that are already assigned to applications. Some apps grab hotkeys without even telling you about it; you don’t see then till you accidently invoke one. Hope I pick a "free" one.
Is qliner at http://qliner.com/hotkeys/overview.htm of any use?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 03:43 AM »

Is qliner at http://qliner.com/hotkeys/overview.htm of any use?

Don’t see how. Do you know something about that app that I am not seeing there?

Thanks!

Jim

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 04:38 AM »
Qliner site:
"Just hold the Windows key for three seconds and up pops a on screen Keyboard with icons on the keys that are configured. This you can use , not only to remind you of hotkey combinations...." and "Use to quickly look up key combinations "
Your post:
"I sure wish that there was a way in Windows to see all hotkeys that are already assigned to applications"

I don't use qliner ... thought if you wanted to see key combos in use it may be relevant.... feel free to ignore it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 07:46 AM »
OK, after a restart it worked. Kinda. It opens a dialog for me to paste text into, so I have to first highlight and copy content from a web page. However it also wants a URL pasted, so I have to bring up the page again, highlight and copy the URL, then focus back on the dialog and paste the URL. The result does not look anything like the web page; just a cell filled with plain text.

It appears to just be copy/paste of text into a cell. Not sure I would compare that to capturing web pages, unless there is more to it, though I cannot find any instruction or documentation of this anywhere except your post. Is there more somewhere?

It is copy n paste at the moment (FF+IE plugins are being worked on) 
I dont ever copy much from a webpage so I cant say much about how layout gets copied, but all formatting comes through perfectly here including e.g. tables
You're not using Opera by any chance are you ? - you can only copy text only from Opera..
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Qliner site:
"Just hold the Windows key for three seconds and up pops a on screen Keyboard with icons on the keys that are configured. This you can use , not only to remind you of hotkey combinations...." and "Use to quickly look up key combinations "

Thanks tsaint, not long ago I was trying to squeeze out that name from my memory!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I sure wish that there was a way in Windows to see all hotkeys that are already assigned to applications. "free" one.

Nir Sofer's ShortCutsMan (Short Cuts Manager) is pretty good, but you're lost if you start defining things in a hotkey program.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24 PM »

When you paste the HTML content, make sure you paste in the HTML area (click on HTML button or Alt-H to view it).

As for having to paste both content and URL, you are correct and this will be fixed when the FF/IE add-ons are done. It is impossible to know the URL from what is in the clipboard...

It is simpler to capture the entire page. Simply copy the URL (or drag-drop it) to the URL textbox and check "Copy Content". You can choose HTML or MHT formats

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 04:34 PM »

When you paste the HTML content, make sure you paste in the HTML area (click on HTML button or Alt-H to view it).

As for having to paste both content and URL, you are correct and this will be fixed when the FF/IE add-ons are done. It is impossible to know the URL from what is in the clipboard...

It is simpler to capture the entire page. Simply copy the URL (or drag-drop it) to the URL textbox and check "Copy Content". You can choose HTML or MHT formats

Thanks Pierre.

Is there a way to paste directly to the HTML pane within the window that the hotkey brings up? I just pasted it in the indicated "Paste" pane on that window.

Thanks again,

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Qliner site:
Your post:
"I sure wish that there was a way in Windows to see all hotkeys that are already assigned to applications"

I don't use qliner ... thought if you wanted to see key combos in use it may be relevant.... feel free to ignore it.

I did download it and give it a brief try - not sure what it looks at but it doesn’t show existing hotkeys other than the ones defined by Windows. I'm afraid that the Windows default hotkeys are the only ones that can be viewed. I searched this thoroughly last year and was told quite definitively at the AHK and AutoIt forums that Windows doesn’t keep a record of third party hotkeys. Which is really a pain IMO!

Thanks for the help.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35 AM »
Is there a way to paste directly to the HTML pane within the window that the hotkey brings up? I just pasted it in the indicated "Paste" pane on that window.

Once the add new item window is open, the Alt+H shortcut will give the HTML area focus - then you can paste
When you open the new-item-window first, the focus is in the "item" field which I guess is the equivalent of the Title of the new item. I usually write something there and then proceed to html area and paste
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Thanks Tom.

All things considered, I think I'll use my other web clipping tools until IQ has a true clipper.

Jim

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26 AM »
I personnaly rely on Metaproducts Inquiry (http://www.metaprodu...Standard_Edition.htm) which is excellent.
.merle1.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2008, 01:46 AM »
I have a few apps that clip just fine. I do want to get the data into SQLNotes/IQ, and when its clipper is on par with others like Evernote, OneNote 2007, or Ultra Recall I'll use it. In the meantime it is easier for me to clip with one or more of those - depending on the type of content - and then import, copy or cut & paste, or drag & drop it into SQLNotes/IQ.   :)

That'll work for now.

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I have a few apps that clip just fine. I do want to get the data into SQLNotes/IQ, and when its clipper is on par with others like Evernote, OneNote 2007, or Ultra Recall I'll use it. In the meantime it is easier for me to clip with one or more of those - depending on the type of content - and then import, copy or cut & paste, or drag & drop it into SQLNotes/IQ.   :)

That'll work for now.

Jim

Expect the FF extension for InfoQube in 1 -2 days. It is working and I'm testing it right now.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 01:07 AM »
Sounds good Pierre!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07 AM »
just installing it now

Version 0.9.24 Pre-release 3 is out

New in this (pre) release:

* Firefox extension to ease web page clippings. Details here: http://sqlnotes.wiki...paces.com/WebClipper

:)

more info on installation and use here
http://sqlnotes.wiki...paces.com/Webclipper
Tom