ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OH NO! Its the end of Windows 3.11!

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
I love 3.11 WfW. I have a virtual machine set to run it and still play with it sometimes. It's how I cut my teeth with windows. Before that, it was all DOS or some terrible Tandy (RadioShack) thing, the name of which I can no longer remember.
-Darwin (July 11, 2008, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

The mind makes merciful deletions after severe trauma. At the risk of bringing back our pain, the "Tandy thing" was called TRS-DOS. Usually called "triss-dos" by Tandy, or "trash DOS" by just about everyone else. That was back in the days of the "proprietary" DOS debacle where there were actually compatibility issues between IBM's PC-DOS and all the other versions out there.

The big (in every sense) TRS-II ran XENIX as it's preferred environment.

I kind of have a soft spot for those old battleship gray doorstops. They were responsible for my first paid consulting job. Got a whole $5 for solving a Visicalc problem.

I also had a lot of fun with (and made quite a bit of money off) Win 3.11 and WFWG. Quite a "rad" beastie for it's time. Of course, back then a "power user" was anyone who used device=ANSI.SYS in their config, and knew how to make and change a directory.

It was fun, but the party's over. What can we say except "See ya around kid."

f0dder:
About time :)

Deozaan:
why would you need Windows 3.11? can't you play those DOS games in... well, DOS? :P
-iliiad (July 12, 2008, 01:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe. I was fairly young in the Win 3.11 and DOS days. All I really know is that the command prompt in WinXP is just a fake DOS, but the command prompt that was available when we had Win3.11 had all the old drivers and things that games were made for back in the day.

f0dder:
why would you need Windows 3.11? can't you play those DOS games in... well, DOS? :P
-iliiad (July 12, 2008, 01:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe. I was fairly young in the Win 3.11 and DOS days. All I really know is that the command prompt in WinXP is just a fake DOS, but the command prompt that was available when we had Win3.11 had all the old drivers and things that games were made for back in the day.
-Deozaan (July 12, 2008, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
XP isn't a "fake DOS", it's simply a shell which happens to look a lot like the old command.com / DOS shell :)

Win3.x ran either 16bit realmode or 16bit protected mode (aka enhanced mode), and was stll based on DOS (iirc even used DOS internally), which is why most stuff ran fine inside a 3.x DOS box. Even win9x required DOS to boot, although it basically didn't use DOS once it had booted (unless you had unknown device drivers, in which case you'd be running in "reduced performance compatibility mode", and various stuff would thunk down and call the DOS drivers... very slow).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version