topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OH NO! Its the end of Windows 3.11!  (Read 9252 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OH NO! Its the end of Windows 3.11!
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:45 AM »
Source

win311logo_2.gif

For those that were not aware, we recently announced that effective November 1st, 2008, OEM's will no longer be able to license Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in the embedded channel. Now we all know that it's been long gone in the standard (retail/OEM) channel, but one of the unique things in the embedded business is that we allow the classic OS products to be sold longer than the other channels. it's *finally the end of an era!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OH NO! Its the end of Windows 3.11!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:16 AM »
omg! another one bites the dust. but seriously does anyone really buy Win3.11 anymore? :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:17 AM »
Actually, We have several machines running it at work.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:19 AM »
wow, i hope they're not recently bought machines. :o

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I love 3.11 WfW. I have a virtual machine set to run it and still play with it sometimes. It's how I cut my teeth with windows. Before that, it was all DOS or some terrible Tandy (RadioShack) thing, the name of which I can no longer remember.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I love 3.11 WfW. I have a virtual machine set to run it and still play with it sometimes. It's how I cut my teeth with windows. Before that, it was all DOS or some terrible Tandy (RadioShack) thing, the name of which I can no longer remember.

Hahaha!

I remember the Tandys. I had a Tandy 1000. It ran DOS. Version 1. Then I got version 2.

When I finally got Windows 3.1 on a new machine, I rigged it so that all the DOS commands were run as if the machine was UNIX. So "ls" was "dir" etc.

Wow. 3.11 is gone. It's about time! :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:36 AM »
oh noez
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Carp! I need to find a an old copy of our Windows 3.11 diskettes so I can set up a VM and play old DOS games that don't work with DOSbox.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:12 PM »
Carp! I need to find a an old copy of our Windows 3.11 diskettes so I can set up a VM and play old DOS games that don't work with DOSbox.

*sigh* i wish i could have more time to play ye olde games. ;D

iliiad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 01:55 AM »

why would you need Windows 3.11? can't you play those DOS games in... well, DOS? :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 08:31 AM »

The mind makes merciful deletions after severe trauma. At the risk of bringing back our pain, the "Tandy thing" was called TRS-DOS. Usually called "triss-dos" by Tandy, or "trash DOS" by just about everyone else. That was back in the days of the "proprietary" DOS debacle where there were actually compatibility issues between IBM's PC-DOS and all the other versions out there.

The big (in every sense) TRS-II ran XENIX as it's preferred environment.

I kind of have a soft spot for those old battleship gray doorstops. They were responsible for my first paid consulting job. Got a whole $5 for solving a Visicalc problem.

I also had a lot of fun with (and made quite a bit of money off) Win 3.11 and WFWG. Quite a "rad" beastie for it's time. Of course, back then a "power user" was anyone who used device=ANSI.SYS in their config, and knew how to make and change a directory.

It was fun, but the party's over. What can we say except "See ya around kid."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:41 AM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 10:16 AM »
About time :)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:36 PM »
why would you need Windows 3.11? can't you play those DOS games in... well, DOS? :P

Maybe. I was fairly young in the Win 3.11 and DOS days. All I really know is that the command prompt in WinXP is just a fake DOS, but the command prompt that was available when we had Win3.11 had all the old drivers and things that games were made for back in the day.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Maybe. I was fairly young in the Win 3.11 and DOS days. All I really know is that the command prompt in WinXP is just a fake DOS, but the command prompt that was available when we had Win3.11 had all the old drivers and things that games were made for back in the day.
XP isn't a "fake DOS", it's simply a shell which happens to look a lot like the old command.com / DOS shell :)

Win3.x ran either 16bit realmode or 16bit protected mode (aka enhanced mode), and was stll based on DOS (iirc even used DOS internally), which is why most stuff ran fine inside a 3.x DOS box. Even win9x required DOS to boot, although it basically didn't use DOS once it had booted (unless you had unknown device drivers, in which case you'd be running in "reduced performance compatibility mode", and various stuff would thunk down and call the DOS drivers... very slow).
- carpe noctem