ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

YourFonts - Generate a font based on your handwriting

<< < (10/17) > >>

erwind:
The additional template page is now available. Please give it a try, and let me know if it works. If things are not obvious or can be improved, do let me know. Thanks!

http://www.yourfonts.com/

The service is still in beta, so generate your fonts for free with this coupon:
YourFont2008

Cavalcader:
I just tried one. (Very cool service BTW!) I ran into 3 main problems.
* Through trial & error, I found that the upload process doesn't recognize apostrophes in the Font Name field. It also gave a very cryptic error message ("Please check your inputs"). It probably needs something more like "Please change something in the text you typed on this page. There are characters we don't recognize." The name I used was something along the line of "Fred's Handwriting" (without the quotes). I removed the apostrophe in the font name and the space too, just in case.
* Same thing during the upload -- the filename "Fred's Handwriting.png" (without the quotes) got me "A database error occured. We can't find your upload. Please try again." It's a much clearer error message (aside from the word "occurred" needing to have a second "R") but an apostrophe is a legitimate character in a Windows filename -- dunno about other systems.
* Finally, for the copyright notice I added the copyright © symbol to follow the full legal notice format, but it comes out as two squares in the final font file. That may be a Windows limitation related to the font used to display the TTF contents, but if that's the case you might want to insert a "(c)" in the textfield template instead.
* On a related note, I don't think I saw anywhere on the website that the font is created in TrueType format. I could be wrong, though, because I'm just going by what I remember seeing.
All in all, the font came out quite nice. I did use a 300 DPI PNG file, which came out to be about 1.5 megs, so it didn't take long to upload. I can see I have to work on the horizontal positioning of a few characters, so maybe version 2 of the web app would permit tweaking after recognition.  :)

erwind:

I just tried one. (Very cool service BTW!) I ran into 3 main problems.-Cavalcader (August 15, 2008, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Cavalcader for this most valuable feedback :Thmbsup: Several users reported the issues you mentioned, but unfortunately again and again without enough information for me to reproduce and fix the bugs. Your post allowed me to make the online service even more rock solid! I still need to find a way to allow people to use the copyright symbol, but that's just a matter of time ;-)

* On a related note, I don't think I saw anywhere on the website that the font is created in TrueType format. I could be wrong, though, because I'm just going by what I remember seeing.-Cavalcader (August 15, 2008, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually the generated font is an OpenType font with TrueType outlines. Not a fancy OpenType font that contains OpenType Layout Features, but still an OpenType font. This discussion gives more insight into the difference between TrueType and OpenType.

All in all, the font came out quite nice. I did use a 300 DPI PNG file, which came out to be about 1.5 megs, so it didn't take long to upload. I can see I have to work on the horizontal positioning of a few characters, so maybe version 2 of the web app would permit tweaking after recognition.  :)
-Cavalcader (August 15, 2008, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not on the to-do list. So for now I suggest you either open your template in your favorite image editing software, and move the drawn characters up or down a bit, or use FontCreator to further improve your font.

Cavalcader:
Your post allowed me to make the online service even more rock solid! I still need to find a way to allow people to use the copyright symbol, but that's just a matter of time ;-)-erwind (August 18, 2008, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's great to hear! (Both.) Please post a note here once you make progress with the (c) symbol and I'll give it another shot.

Actually the generated font is an OpenType font with TrueType outlines. Not a fancy OpenType font that contains OpenType Layout Features, but still an OpenType font.
--- End quote ---

Interesting! I was just going by the TTF filename extension. I hope that doesn't make it harder to find an editor that'll let me tweak the results. I'll read the page you linked and see what I can learn.

I can see I have to work on the horizontal positioning of a few characters, so maybe version 2 of the web app would permit tweaking after recognition.
--- End quote ---
That's not on the to-do list.
--- End quote ---

Ever? No problem, then -- I'll dig up an editor somewhere. I think I've got one in my downloads dir. :)

erwind:
That's great to hear! (Both.) Please post a note here once you make progress with the (c) symbol and I'll give it another shot.-Cavalcader (August 18, 2008, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well do give it another try, as it should now be possible to name the font the way you like. But do keep in mind Windows might be confused if you name your font '@@' or ''''.

Interesting! I was just going by the TTF filename extension. I hope that doesn't make it harder to find an editor that'll let me tweak the results. I'll read the page you linked and see what I can learn.-Cavalcader (August 18, 2008, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great! Do give FontCreator a try and let me know if you like it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version