ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

YourFonts - Generate a font based on your handwriting

<< < (6/17) > >>

erwind:
I'm not sure if it's Ok to ask for help in this forum, so feel free to split this topic or ask me to take action.

I would like to allow people to also include other (mostly accented) characters. That would make a lot of people happy, especially non-English (read European) people. I've thought about it over the past couple of months, but to no avail...

It could be done by adding an additional template. So a font is then generated based on two completed templates. One as is right now (basic Latin characters like 0..9, a..z and A..Z), and the other one containing additional characters like:
ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõöøÿŒœŠšŸŽž¡¥¦¨ª«¬­¯²³´µ·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ıŁłƒ×÷

Another approach is to let the user just draw the diacritical marks, and let the generation process build the accented characters by combining a (base) letter and a diacritical mark. I'm afraid most people will fail to draw the accents correctly. Besides it takes too much time to develop.

I'm curious about your opinions. I don't want to spent too much time on the additional feature, so if it proofs to be too complex them I'll just drop the whole idea. But honestly I hope one or more DC's are able to help me out  ;)

mouser:
I agree with your intuition that having users draw accents and then trying to combine them via software is unlikely to yield satisfactory results.

I think having an additional template makes sense.  Another approach might be to have a template where users can just draw any characters they want and specify explicitly what code point each of their drawn characters maps to.

Deozaan:
I think having a second template for special characters and accented letters would be the best option.

erwind:
Thanks mouser and Deozaan!

I've made up my mind and will go for the additional template.

Here are the additional characters:
ÀÁÂÃÄÅÇĈÈÉÊËĜĤÌÍÎÏĴŁÑÒÓÔÕÖØŜŠÙÚÛÜÝŸŽàáâãäåçĉèéêëƒĝĥıìíîïĵłñòóôõöøŝšùúûüýÿžÆŒÐÞßæœðþµ¥¦¿¡×÷ºª¹²³¼½¾«»¬­¯¨´·¸

For my own convenience I've temporarily added the corresponding code points into the cells.

Then there are still 3 cells empty, so there is room for a couple more characters.

erwind:
I can imagine such huge amount of empty cells may scare people off. But no worries, only characters that are written down on the template(s) are added to the font, so if you only need a few characters, then only write those down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version