ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gizmo's Tech Support Alert Newsletter Merges with Windows Secrets

<< < (5/13) > >>

justice:
Tech Support Alert has had a paid premium section for a long time, and if you like it, as everybody on this thread seems to, why haven't you supported it by paying for the premium stuff (which I find definitely worthwhile)?
-Tiesenhausen (July 12, 2008, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I found it interesting to read but think that I can find the same information elsewhere but with more effort. So I read it but I don't pay for it.

johnpulliam:
I'm actually very unhappy with this. 

I was a subscriber of Fred Langa's newsletter for a VERY long time (since 1996!);  when he went pay, I paid. 

When it went Windows Secrets, I paid;  and I was not thrilled with the "gruel" (thanks for the word, dude!), either.  So I stopped paying. 

When I stumbled on Gizmo's letter, I found it so useful I paid for it, for the last three years in fact. 

Then this happened, and at the moment, WS doesn't even acknowledge that I'm a paying Gizmo subscriber, and I never got the paid-member link.  I guess the WS crew don't think I count. (shrug)

I'm thinking I'll give them a chance and subscribe, but my gut says that it'll be a waste of money, that the good stuff that was Gizmo (and Langa) will largely be sublimated by the marchitizing crap they seem to prefer to push, instead of real information.  At least Gizmo was balanced and did stuff for both the Windows side and Linux side, and didn't pander the the Wintel hegemony.

At least we have DC and Neowin/TechSpot...:rolleyes:

tomos:
Then this happened, and at the moment, WS doesn't even acknowledge that I'm a paying Gizmo subscriber, and I never got the paid-member link.  I guess the WS crew don't think I count. (shrug)
-johnpulliam (July 14, 2008, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

they, dont - that's up to Gizmo - i.e. you get the mail from him - I got mine on the 10th - seems like it shouldnt take this long to get around to everyone?

in fact it was quite oddly done - my mail to my Windows Secrets email address came from Gizmo as well and had no mention of Windows Secrets in the subject line ...
as said above
I got two identical [well, I thought] mails headed "Gizmo's Support Alert Newsletter Special Announcement, 9th July 2008"

The link for managing my subscription from first "special announcement" mail, didnt recognise my Support Alert subscription and asks me to subscribe/donate - turns out this is sent to Windows Secrets subscribers where I'm not a paid subscriber.
The other mail recognised my subscription
-tomos (July 10, 2008, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
Ditto - I don't hold out any hopes for the new combination.

Experience seems to tell that when people merge with WS they start to take a back seat (or just don't get much space). Fred Langa wrote brilliant newsletters but hardly contributed anything useful to WS.

I have come to find WS (and it super heavy advertising - even in the paid premium version) very irritating.

In the days of Langalist I read every word the day it arrived. Most of the time now WS gets binned before I even bother reading it - it is just depressingly uninspiring and I have come to expect no better. I won't be subscribing again next time it comes to renewal - and am seriously considering unsubscribing to avoid disappointment each time.

cranioscopical:
I won't be subscribing again next time it comes to renewal - and am seriously considering unsubscribing to avoid disappointment each time.-Carol Haynes (July 15, 2008, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm offering a new service.
It's in its early stages.
Limited to DonationCoder members until the international roll-out.

For a small annual fee you can redirect your copy of Windows Secrets to me and I'll be disappointed on your behalf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version