ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is More Memory Better? - a bit-tech.net article

<< < (2/3) > >>

jgpaiva:
I just hit the on switch and then go and grab a cuppa'. By the time I get back, my desktop is up and waiting - and I've got my coffee! And how often do most of us actually need to reboot in the course of a session? Dunno, I must be missing something. :)
-40hz (July 09, 2008, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
(emphasis mine)
That's the problem, desktop users don't care much, but it's relevant for laptop users. I sure wouldn't mind if my laptop booted a tidy bit faster in those moments where i need it to show something important to someone ;)
(one could argue that the testings made only test desktop RAM, though.. Which would render my argument useless :D)

40hz:
I just hit the on switch and then go and grab a cuppa'. By the time I get back, my desktop is up and waiting - and I've got my coffee! And how often do most of us actually need to reboot in the course of a session? Dunno, I must be missing something. :)
--- End quote ---
(emphasis mine)
That's the problem, desktop users don't care much, but it's relevant for laptop users. I sure wouldn't mind if my laptop booted a tidy bit faster in those moments where i need it to show something important to someone ;)
(one could argue that the testings made only test desktop RAM, though.. Which would render my argument useless :D)
-jgpaiva (July 09, 2008, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm...by "desktop" I meant desktop manager (which is Xfce) - not the "box" itself (which happens to be both a laptop and a workstation that I use in tandem).
;)

Hey f0dder! You hear that? Looks like your "thing" about using the correct terminology just got proven once again! Boy do I ever have to start being more careful with my choice of terms around here!!!  :-[

P.S. (to jgpaiva) My sister, who is a graphic designer, is reading this over my shoulder. She wanted to tell you that she couldn't agree more with you about when you need to show something to someone. (And also that her brother is a clueless techno-dweeb.)

jgpaiva:
LoL 40hz, looks like i misread what you typed :)
I'm glad at least your sister recognizes I'm right :P

Lashiec:
I'm also always amazed at the amount of discussion given over to boot times. Why something like a 10, 20, or even 120 second boot delay should be all that important puzzles me to no end. Might be important if you're launching a strategic retaliatory strike, but otherwise?
--- End quote ---

It's always nice to have a fast-booting PC, and there is this point from which a longer boot starts to feel exasperating, for example when you have to wait in front of the PC for it to stop starting. Not my case, but certain Firefox ex-developer takes like 5 minutes to boot up his machine ;D

In any case, just as I thought 4 GB seems to be the sweet spot for Vista. Until resource hungry games come about and demand your RAM, of course :)

Tiesenhausen:
4 GB seems to be the sweet spot for Vista: well, yeah, maybe for technies who always have the latest computer, but what about us old timers who buy a computer and use it until it wears out? My 256MB model was very potent when I bought it, but now...

My point being, since the aforesaid model is wearing out, should I not buy as much memory as possible, anticipating Firefox and Photoshop of 2015?

Thanks for your thoughts on this,

Tiesenhausen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version