ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do websites need to look exactly the same in every browser?

<< < (3/4) > >>

fenixproductions:
2f0dder
For me 256 (GIF) and 24-bit (PNG) colours palette might be big difference. And also: GIF files presents transparency only (takes one colour from palette) while PNG gives variable opacity with whole alpha channel.

Little info:
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif

f0dder:
For me 256 (GIF) and 24-bit (PNG) colours palette might be big difference. And also: GIF files presents transparency only (takes one colour from palette) while PNG gives variable opacity with whole alpha channel.-fenixproductions (July 09, 2008, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
True, true - I was thinking in terms of "use on the web", though, since this thread is about browsers. For web use PNG alpha is troublesome, because older browsers don't support it properly. And PNG with more than 8bit colors take a lot of space, and (when talking photographs and the like) is usually better handled by JPEG.

Edvard:
Good insights, all...

Especially notable the comments on mobile devices and older systems. I wonder if there is a tool to allow you to see how stuff looks on different platforms? I know there is a tool to see how your webpage looks at different resolutions, and even simulate loading through a dial-up connection, but is there a multi-platform simulation tool?

f0dder:
I wonder if there is a tool to allow you to see how stuff looks on different platforms? I know there is a tool to see how your webpage looks at different resolutions, and even simulate loading through a dial-up connection, but is there a multi-platform simulation tool?-Edvard (July 09, 2008, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
For IE, I'm afraid you need multiple vmware guests with different IE versions... unless somebody knows a reliable magic trick to have multiple IE cooperate on one windows install. A single tool that would render using multiple engines could be immensely helpful, but I doubt it exists - besides, rendering is only part of the story, you also need DOM/javascript testing >_<

fenixproductions:
This site might come handy:
http://browsershots.org/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version