ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where's my TCP/IP?

(1/3) > >>

Lashiec:
During the past days, I've been having connection problems, suddenly the pages are inaccessible, IM is disconnected, and file transfers drop to 0. I swear these problems use a timetable, because during the afternoon, everything is rock solid, but at night or in the mornings, it's a nightmare. I have to punch my ISP, but first I want to fix this particular problem, and see if it's connected somehow.

The thing is that the other day, while I suffered one of the first disconnections, I went to see the status of the connection, and I encountered this:

I went like crazy, because clearly something was not right there. First, the entry for the TCP/IP protocol is nowhere to be found; second, the dialog is not showing which Ethernet port is providing the connection; third, I can't uncheck any of the entries (and I unchecked the first two when I installed Windows). I thought it was because of the disconnection, but no, it stays the same when things go back to normal. Clearly, there is a connection, otherwise I could not be posting this, and everything is working as usual.

I tried to install the protocol, but I get an error box: "Can't find the file". What file? There is no prompt to search for one, and putting the installation CD in the drive does not get me anywhere. I tried to configure the hardware from that dialog as well, but I can't solve anything like that. I searched Google, and there lots of results, but no solution, since everyone recommends what I've already tried (including resetting the TCP/IP protocol per this Microsoft article), and the people with these problems can't solve them after applying the fixes as well.

I can't remember the last time that dialog showed what it should, but I did not see anything wrong in the computer that might suggest something is at work (no viruses, trojans or anything similar). I wonder if maybe I broke something in the registry, or some tweak or change in the system caused this. Any ideas?

Carol Haynes:
Try uninstalling all network adapters in device manager and remove any connections from the Network Connections folder and then reinstall the network adapters again with known good versions of drivers (don't just reinstall what is in the Windows folder) and allow the system to rebuild the Network Connections.

You could also try removing all the network components in Add/Remove Programs > Windows Components and then reloading them from the installation disc.

If that doesn't work try creating a new user account in case it is your user profile that is screwed up.

My initial reaction to that screen was have you got a virus or some other malware taking over network traffic in some nefarious way?

lanux128:
i'm not sure how serious is your problem but if the disruptions are persistent, then try this: LSP-Fix.

Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access

LSP-Fix is a free Windows utility to repair a loss of Internet access associated with certain types of software. This type of software, known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, typically handles low-level Internet-related tasks, and data is passed through a chain of these programs on its way to and from the Internet. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, causing the Internet connection to become inaccessible. -website
--- End quote ---

• http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Josh:
or, from the dos command line, try typing "netsh winsock reset catalog" then restart

f0dder:
or, from the dos command line, try typing "netsh winsock reset catalog" then restart
-Josh (July 09, 2008, 04:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's no DOS in the NT-based windows versions. "Shell", "Command Prompt", "cmd.exe", "Console Window"... but please, no "DOS". I know, I'm anal about this, and I don't even really know why - it just bothers me endlessly :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version