ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where's my TCP/IP?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Josh:
potato potato

wr975:
I'd also say possible malware infection...

Did you try another network card / cable?

If it's a registry/Windows issue, this tool could help: http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix.

f0dder:
potato potato
-Josh (July 09, 2008, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not really, no - to make the distinction clearer, what do you think a linux user would say if you asked him to open a DOS prompt? ;) (and yes, the scenarios are comparable).

40hz:
potato potato
-Josh (July 09, 2008, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not really, no - to make the distinction clearer, what do you think a linux user would say if you asked him to open a DOS prompt? ;) (and yes, the scenarios are comparable).
-f0dder (July 09, 2008, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd smile and say "OK." Then I'd open up a bash terminal session.  ;)

Stoic Joker:
Speaking from the darker side of practical...the last think any EvilWare want's to do is cut itself off from the outside world.

WinSOCK & friends being borked won't stop TCP/IP from being listed, it just renders it useless.

I'm inclined to think this is a hardware malfunction, as in the NIC is half dead and either doesn't claim to need TCP/IP any more or has Phantom Deviced itself and the protol is being bound uselessly to it's "shadow" (I've seen both happen).

Use this to start Device Manager, make sure show hidden devices is selected, and see if the NIC is listed twice.
@echo off
Echo Find Phantom Devices
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
start devmgmt.msc
exit

...Granted this was more of a Win2k (era) issue, but that doesn't mean it can't still happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version