topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Startup Delayer  (Read 77419 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Startup Delayer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 10:31 AM »
@superboyac and patteo:

The solution is simply. Just...

• set Startup Delayer to NOT delay one single program
  • download Sysinternals' Autorun: http://fileforum.bet...utoruns/1092024321/1
  • start Autoruns.exe (no need to install)
  • find and disable/delete every entry that's twice in Autostart folders/that you had problems with
  • run the programs that caused problems and disable their "automatically start with Windows" option!
  • again now, delay the programs you want to delay with Startup Delayer

I experienced that problem too, but it really isn't a Startup Delayer bug, it's just that some problems think "Oops, the user did set me to auto-start with Windows but somehow removed that got disabled, I better fix that".

Doing what I suggested fixes this for sure :)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:35 AM by brotherS »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 10:59 AM »
If you read the FAQs on the website you will see this is discussed and there is a simple solution.

The problem arises because SD uses its own registry keys to manage startup. When you tell SD to manage a particular startup item it is moved to the SD key. Trouble is there is no standard way for SD to tell the app that the startup has moved and consequently in a lot of apps the next time they start they notice the startup keys have been deleted (in this case moved to SD) and automatically add a new entry in the standard locations.

The solution ...

Any apps you want startup delayer to manage after you hand it over to SD open the apps preferences and switch off run on startup, that way the original key won't be recreated at the next system start.

It doesn't happen for all apps - some just check the startup keys and set the Run on Startup option on the basis of the key existing - these are well behaved, so it is only the less well behaved apps that cause this problem.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 11:56 AM »
So what's the consensus on this one.. is this REALLY useful? And why?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26 PM »
That question is kinda funny IMHO :D

I love it, it's great to delay the start of the programs in your startup folders. Every pro DC user probably has more than a dozen there, Startup Delayer is perfect to delay the startup of the non-vital entries, so you are able to use Windows faster after you start it up.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Guess that answers the question :). Thanks

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 01:02 PM »
For those for whom Startup Delayer became inevitable (like me), here are good news: an update is available.

The first impression: the problem with Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher is fixed.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 07:07 AM »
WinPatrol has a basic startup delayer which works well for me.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I love it, it's great to delay the start of the programs in your startup folders. Every pro DC user probably has more than a dozen there, Startup Delayer is perfect to delay the startup of the non-vital entries, so you are able to use Windows faster after you start it up.
Guess that answers the question :). Thanks

Anothor helpful feature is if you are testing programs and over and over want to either add or remove them from start - then Startup Delayer will prove itself a fast and easy to use manager;   just one click:

SD.gifStartup Delayer

Praise to the author from r2 Support, Cliff Cawley, for doing a fine job  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Minor bugfixes such as the Runtime error 91, Startup Delayer v2.3.134:
http://www.r2.com.au...&show=startdelay

Edited:
Startup Delayer can also be found at http://www.majorgeek...p_Delayer_d6064.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:53 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 01:58 AM »
Startup Delayer 2.4 build 135 has been released and is ready to download!

You can download it from here: http://www.r2.com.au...&show=startdelay

The changes are as follows:

1   Fixed a bug where the StartIn path from shortcuts wasn't being properly read
2   Added support for tracking the IconFile and IconIndex used in a shortcut so that it can be restored
3   Fixed a bug where dragging a shortcut to 0 delay when not already delayed, caused the shortcut to be removed
4   Fixed "Run-time error "5" Invalid procedure call or arguement.
5   Added Traditional Chinese Translation - Thanks Feelin Lin!
6   Updated the Dutch Translation - Thanks Piet Bruinsma
7   Removed the Concept of Safe Mode/Advanced Mode as it has been confusing too many users
8   Renamed 'Move To' to 'Change Location' (Translators you will need to send me an update!)
9   Modified 'Space Evenly' to use the current delay order for sorting. So organise your application order by delaying to random amounts and then use 'Space Evenly' to space out, keeping the order.

Enjoy!
Cliff  :)
-r2

- or get it from http://majorgeeks.co...p_Delayer_d6064.html

:up:  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Startup Delayer 2.5 build 136 was released a couple of days ago, but has already been replaced by build 138:

Startup Delayer 2.5 build 138 has been released and is ready to download!

This release fixes 2 bugs, one that causes Space evenly to generate a Run-time 9 - subscript out of range error, and the other that fixes a bug that made disabling some items have no effect. Thanks to Alec and Gary for helping me track these down!

You can download it from: http://www.r2.com.au...&show=startdelay

Complete list of changes: http://www.r2.com.au...=startdelay_v2.5b138

Enjoy!
Cliff  :)

-email from r2

- not yet to be found anywhere else.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 10:26 PM »
You can also use our freeware <b>Batchrun</b> for this purpose (among other things).

Download: http://www.outertech...m/files/batchrun.exe
Download portable edition (manual installation): http://download.oute...atchrun_portable.zip

Version 4.2 has just been released.

<b>Batchrun</b> will let you create batch files using a graphical interface. In the good old days of DOS .bat files took care of this task. They still do, but they're not exactly user friendly. With Batchrun .brs batch files you can launch any number of programs or dialup connections with just a simple click. You can control the starting process with many properties like priority or run mode and control their behavior a tad.

You can even do more than starting programs with the built-in file management functions like Copy, Rename, Makedir, Delete, End Process, Kill Process and Text to Clipboard. Batchrun batch files can be launched from Explorer or placed in StartUp folder or on the Desktop.

<b>Feature List</b>
<ul><li>Launch files of any filetype and dialup connections</li>
<li>Internal commands: Run, Copy, Rename, Makedir, Delete, DelTree, End Process, Kill Process, Text to Clipboard</li>
<li>Wildcard support for Copy, Delete and DelTree</li>
<li>Makedir nested folder creation</li>
<li>Drag and Drop between Explorer and Batchrun</li>
<li>Support for date and time tags</li>
<li>Command line parameters can be passed to Batchrun script files</li>
<li>Save batch files directly to Startup and Desktop</li>
</ul>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:42 AM by Outertech Support »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16 AM »
- thanks for telling. I was using your fine GetDiz, on my XP, but for some reason it will not install properly on my 'new' Vista ~ I must remember to try your USB version.

Maybe you could tell if Batchrun too has been infected with Ask.com ?

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 02:30 AM »
Try installing GetDiz without the included fonts. Some users had installation problems because their systems refused to accept new font installation.

Batchrun installer has no (optional) Ask Toolbar.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 01:01 AM »
There is also my Lacuna Launcher, that does something similar, but not limited to just applications, and not limited to only using it as a startup tool.

You'll have to go remove the existing entries in your startup folder and registry yourself, since I don't do that for you. Then just add the paths to a txt file. Use the command line parameters to set the txt file you want to use, the initial delay, and the pause time between each item.

Bonus: it is portable and does work with relative paths, providing Lacuna Launcher is placed at the root of your portable drive.

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 04:12 PM »
I've been using this startupdelayer for quite some time now, however there's one serious bug that still is present with every update.

From time to time when using the graphic display, at the very start of the program I get (at the place where the graphic display shows the different programs that startup in sequence) the message "Waiting for time to pass ....". This remains so and nothing happens; no programs start, not even manually. The only thing I can do is reboot, sometimes I even have to reboot twice. I think that when that message appears it means that even startupdelayer won't start.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 05:39 PM »
- I have seen that a few times, earlier, but I am not sure it entirely is Startup Delayer's fault. Anti-spyware etcetera seems to also play a role. I you haven't done so already, I will recommend you to add Startup Dealyer to Trusted or whatever it may be called, wherever.

Edited:
Also check via a task/process manager, if at PC start you have some anti-virus etcetera updating or scanning that could be taking all the CPU, when Startup Delayer was supposed to begin launching.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:44 PM by Curt »

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Thanks, you mean you've seen in some other posts, or you've experienced it yourself ? Anyway I also start my Antivirus and Firewall delayed. In fact when this bug appears (and that's about 1 time out of 3 times after a reboot), everything locks, also nothing appears in the systray of the other programs that start without delay.

http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=92264_StartupDelayer_122_690lo.jpg
Startup Delayer

It's of course possible because of the fact that StartUpDelayer doesn't start, it might as well be that no other program would start if startup delayer wasn't used. That's why it should be possible for the program to move all programs out of the delayer with one click. Now if you disable the delayer program at start up no program from the delay list will start.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 02:27 AM »
- Sadly it was an experience from my own setup. The problem stopped when I removed certain programs, but I didn't tell this in my previous post because I can't remember which programs it were, other than they were causing instability in general.

Edited:
Also, upgrading Outpost Firewall to Outpost Security Suite Pro  helped a lot in general. The suite is easier on the system.

@ JimB. When posting here at DC, please upload any images to 'our' server here at DC, not to third-party sites. Click "preview" to find the proper way before posting.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:42 AM by Curt »

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Well as far as some programs being the cause, I have my doubts because like you saw in my screenshot, there's hardly any program starting b4 this happens in the graphic display. Instead of the usual programs one just gets this "waiting for time to pass". And this remains that way and there's only one thing left to do and that's reboot again.

Also I never will use these AIO's. Outpost firewall is good, but that doesn't mean their security suite is good. Most products are only good or the best in one category. Also once a product is one of the best of it's kind, the manufacturers atract users to also get their other products and most of all their AIO's. It's been proved over and over again this works. I would advise not to fall in that trap, because rarely their other products are of the same high quality.

But anyway thank's for the advise. On the other hand I can't the links for an upgrade to a newer version of SD to work ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:55 PM by JimB »

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I've been using this startupdelayer for quite some time now, however there's one serious bug that still is present with every update.

From time to time when using the graphic display, at the very start of the program I get (at the place where the graphic display shows the different programs that startup in sequence) the message "Waiting for time to pass ....". This remains so and nothing happens; no programs start, not even manually. The only thing I can do is reboot, sometimes I even have to reboot twice. I think that when that message appears it means that even startupdelayer won't start.
This problem that I mentioned in May this year, is still present and quite annoying, because evrything locks up and I have to do a restart. I think it is the Delayer itself that blocks evrything. My AV and FW are set to not start with Windows in their respective configuration. So they can't cause this problem.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Startup Delayer 3.0 in progress
05:59:23 PM on 5th June 2010

I'm currently working on Startup Delayer 3.0.

This version will have 100% support for Windows 7 as well as some new automatic features for launching applications.

I'm completely rewriting it in a new language in order to give me the most flexibility with future upgrades.

I'm also completely redesigning the User Interface to make it more up to date and easier to use.

Cliff

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37 AM »
The final version is out. So far very good experiences, the correct loading order of some apps just fixed some of my issues both on WinXP and Vista. At least I finally had a chance to get rid of Soluto — The Anti-Frustration Software, that used to frustrate me for too long time.

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34 AM »
This is weird, the 3.0 version seems to be split in two. A standard and a premium version. I wonder what's the difference between both. Also is it possible to overinstall the 3.0 on top of the old 2.5 ? I and many others I suppose would like to save the settings used in the previous version.

Besides and maybe off-topic but I wonder why user yksyks is bothering over Soluto ? Been using that for some 2 years w.o a problem ...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:35 AM by JimB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26 AM »
-version 3 will apparently overwrite version 2:

2011-05-17_145825.gif

What goes for differences between version 2, 3, and 3 Premium, it may be a good idea to study the six screenshots, or even read what they are telling. If you should get in the adventurous mood, you could click "Find out more..." > "Premium Information", and study the huge "Comparison Table":

01v 2011-05-17_151610.gif