ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why we must take great care when designing software

(1/1)

f0dder:
A friend directed me to History's Worst Software Bugs, a rather short but interesting summary of a few really bad bugs, whereof some have caused people to lose their lives.

The interesting thing is that a lot of really severe bugs can be caused by very small oversights. So, remember to check your buffer sizes, avoid off-by-one errors, be paranoid about user input and data files, and trust no-one - not even yourself ;)

mouser:
nice article.

Carol Haynes:
Interesting webpage - I couldn't view it at all in Firefox - had to go into Internet Explorer ...

I particularly like the article on iTunes (is Sony taking up Apple's batton on consumer realtions ;))

f0dder:
Didn't think about checking the related stories, doh - that iTunes bug is frightening. There must be some really bad code floating around if the lack of a couple of quotes can cause such datanuke.

On the topic of bad software, there's a thread on the winasm forum about Sony's DRM rootkit - you might find this interesting too.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for pointing out that thread ... particularly interesting news at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4427606.stm

I wonder is Sony are criminally liable having caused the problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version