ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Will someone in this section please start creating a massive MMORPG

<< < (4/5) > >>

Codebyte:
Hrmm... I saw this post the day it was made... It sparked my interest... ALOT! Im actually craving to write an MMORPG but I really am not too familiar with loading sprites, etc. in RAD Studio yet... Let me know if you have any ideas... I wouldnt mind writing something like this... Besides, i've been wanting to play something that I can enjoy... I have alot of great ideas from personal experience in Playing WoW since beta, City of Heroes/Villains, Star Wars Galaxies, and many many more MMO's... wasted alot of my life playing these games but I love them with a passion... the concept is amazing and the fact that you can unite people from different cultures/races makes it even better! Please keep me posted, send messages if you need anything... i'd like to help with something as I think this would be a cool experience to delve into!

mouser:
Emmy, congratulations on your accomplishment.

Sometimes I spend some time in our chat channel talking to DC member Deozaan, trying to provide a little guidance on coding and trying to encourage the game players who hang out in the channel to work on writing games instead of playing them.

One thing i've noticed more and more with newer programmers is that they don't enjoy the "planning" phase as much as some of us older coders.  I think this is partly a reflection of the situation that was in place when us older coders learned how to code.

In the days of punch cards and timeshared computing (before my time), there was very little interactive computing, and as a programmer you had to be dead sure your code was correct before even submitting it to run.  So huge amounts of time were spent planning and analyzing your approach to make sure it was correct.

In my early days programming c, it could take hours to compile a large program, and i use to set the compiler going and then go have dinner(!) and come back afterwards to test the program.

I developed a true love of *PLANNING* a programming project.

In fact few things are quite as enjoyable as planning a large project -- it's fun to get out a paper and pencil and just sketch notes and data structures.

In face as the years went by and I find myself with less free time to work on all the fun project ideas I come up with, I developed a thing I call Virtual Programming.  That's when I allow myself a few hours to daydream and plan a programming project in order to get it out of my head.  Sometimes planning a project satisfies the strong urge to code it, and let's me let go of the idea and move on to other things.

All this is a way of me saying that:

Do not run away from big programming projects -- but also do not just jump into opening up your IDE and starting the code.  Sit down with a paper and pencil and plan plan plan -- exerperiment on paper with ideas and figure out how you would code it, how you would represent the data, what algorithms you would use, how would you divide up the work, etc.

Planning can be one of the funnest parts of a big project.

lanux128:
a few pointers from someone who has done it. a point to note is that Guild Wars does away with subscription fees for its online play. 8)

• http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

mouser:
very nice find lanux  :up:

it should be noted that his speech focuses largely on the business model for succeeding making a MMO rather than the technical/gameplay issues.

Deozaan:
ankama games started with an MMO and did ok :)

Huge undertaking, indeed but would be awesome.
-allen (July 13, 2008, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but I think Ankama also had a $1,000,000 budget to make Dofus with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version