ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt 6.0 released

<< < (6/7) > >>

CWuestefeld:
There's TCExplorer, which is a regular, user-mode application that opens container files
-mwb1100 (July 18, 2008, 12:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is a year old, and TC has introduced a whole new way of encoding its containers. I can't imagine that it works on containers that have been upgraded to work with TC 5 (let alone 6).

mwb1100:
There's TCExplorer, which is a regular, user-mode application that opens container files
-mwb1100 (July 18, 2008, 12:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is a year old, and TC has introduced a whole new way of encoding its containers. I can't imagine that it works on containers that have been upgraded to work with TC 5 (let alone 6).
-CWuestefeld (July 18, 2008, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like you're right - only TC 4 containers are supported.  There's some indication that the developers might be updating the support, but it's unclear to me how much interest there really is:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1933141&forum_id=705177

Stoic Joker:
Does anyone know of an application like this which allows encrypted drives to be transported and opened on a system via a thumb drive?
-Josh (July 17, 2008, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
TrueCrypt can do this if you use container files rather than direct partition encryption - but it does require installing a driver on the host computer, obviously requiring admin privileges. Iirc there's also a CodeProject or SourceForge project for dealing with container files directly?, probably require use of FAT32 filesystem though (but that's fine for smallish container files).
-f0dder (July 17, 2008, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't an encrypted ThumbDrive be simpler?
Like: IRONKEY 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) hardware-based encryption http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820323003

Nothing to install and the price isn't (that) bad either

f0dder:
Stoic Joker: if there's nothing to install, how do you access the encrypted part of the thumbdrive, then?

Stoic Joker:
Stoic Joker: if there's nothing to install, how do you access the encrypted part of the thumbdrive, then?
-f0dder (July 18, 2008, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Man I'd love to be able to answer that, but I didn't design the damn thing...

I do know that that particular "Key" point was a big part of their launch/selling point, it's supposed to be a completely self contained hardware based encryption that requires nothing to be installed ... That even they can't get into (per the site's FAQ) if you lose your decryption key. Check out their site www.IronKey.com for details as I can't substantiate their claims ... I'm just conveying the devices existence as an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version