ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt 6.0 released

<< < (5/7) > >>

tomos:
What are all of you hiding? :P
-TucknDar (July 17, 2008, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D

f0dder:
Source code, client information, private documents? :)

Once I purchase a laptop, I'll be running full disk encryption (yeah, including system partition) on it... in case it ever gets stolen or lost, I don't really want anybody to rummage through my files.

Josh:
Does anyone know of an application like this which allows encrypted drives to be transported and opened on a system via a thumb drive?

f0dder:
Does anyone know of an application like this which allows encrypted drives to be transported and opened on a system via a thumb drive?
-Josh (July 17, 2008, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
TrueCrypt can do this if you use container files rather than direct partition encryption - but it does require installing a driver on the host computer, obviously requiring admin privileges. Iirc there's also a CodeProject or SourceForge project for dealing with container files directly?, probably require use of FAT32 filesystem though (but that's fine for smallish container files).

mwb1100:
-Josh (July 17, 2008, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's TCExplorer, which is a regular, user-mode application that opens container files (FAT only) similar to the way zip utilities deal with zip files as containers.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/files/TCExplorer.aspx
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcexplorer/

A couple caveats:

* I have not tried this software
* when using files inside a TC container with this utility, the file will be copied to a temp directory (on the same drive as the container, I think) - take whatever precautions you might feel necessary to ensure the data is not recoverable when you remove the container

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version