ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does it make sense to disable the windows swap file?

<< < (10/11) > >>

f0dder:
Deozaan: weird, I ran 32bit XPSP2 with 2 gigs and no pagefile for years without problems - except for one or two games where I had to temporarily re-enable the pagefile.

As for system running slower after re-enabling pagefile, grab sysinternals' "contig" tool as see if the file is fragmented or not.

Deozaan:
Deozaan: weird, I ran 32bit XPSP2 with 2 gigs and no pagefile for years without problems - except for one or two games where I had to temporarily re-enable the pagefile.

As for system running slower after re-enabling pagefile, grab sysinternals' "contig" tool as see if the file is fragmented or not.
-f0dder (August 17, 2008, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, like I said, I'm still getting the out of memory errors in IE for Google sites even with the pagefile enabled again, so I'm not sure if that's related.

As for contig, it just tells me "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

And by the way. Don't try to use Unlocker on the pagefile or your computer will BSOD. :)

Shades:
Don't you have the option to defrag your swap file when you reboot your system? Because that is more or less the only time you are able to defrag it using Windows.

tomos:
Deozaan,
I have used the JKDefrag gui from:-
http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
which in turn uses PageDefrag from Sysinternals to defrag the file on reboot
Cant do any harm to defrag it anyways even if you cant check it

btw, when you re-enabled it was it in exactly the same way it was previously enabled?

y0himba:
I have noticed one application that doesn't like a disabled swap file, "Twhirl".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version