ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does it make sense to disable the windows swap file?

<< < (6/11) > >>

f0dder:
tomos: it simply refuses to run without, even though you have plenty of RAM? Interesting... and what a silly limitation to impose :)

y0himba:
I have been without a page file for 24 hours now.  Specs:  Intel Q6600 Quad Core, 4GB DDR3 1033, Vista Business 32bit. Only difference I see is less drive chatter.  Other than that, nothing. 

No difference at all actually.

masu:
nly difference I see is less drive chatter.
--- End quote ---

which is a big plus  :Thmbsup:

tomos:
tomos: it simply refuses to run without, even though you have plenty of RAM? Interesting... and what a silly limitation to impose :)
-f0dder (July 07, 2008, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

could it be to do with fact it was released in 1999 when they probably couldnt imagine people using it on computers with 2 gigabyites ... and if they could, they probably presumed I would have upgraded by now ... ;D

I dug this out
from the Photoshop 5.5 help:-
When your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation, Adobe Photoshop uses a proprietary virtual memory technology, also called the scratch disks. Virtual memory is disk space used for storing data during a work session when the amount of RAM is insufficient. (This scratch disk space is not a Windows swap file or Mac OS virtual memory, but is used only when working in Photoshop.)
The amount of free space on the scratch disk must be greater than or equal to the amount of RAM you have allocated to Photoshop. To ensure good performance, Photoshop writes the entire RAM contents to the scratch disks during idle times. If the scratch disks run out of free space, Photoshop quits taking additional RAM—regardless of what you have allocated to the program. This means that if you’ve allocated 60 MB to Photoshop [1999 standards :) ] but you have only 10 MB of free space on your scratch disk, Photoshop will use only 10 MB of RAM.-tomos (August 12, 2007, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Heh, especially considering they have their own "proprietary virtual memory technology", it's even more silly it won't run without a windows pagefile :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version