ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

some suggestions about FARR

(1/5) > >>

zhouzh2:
Great software ;D
1. I hope FARR can put search bar into the taskbar, like google desktop does

2.hope FARR also searches the target file name of a .lnk file.
For example, when I type "notepad", FARR did not list the windows notepad, because in my chinese system this .lnk is called "记事本",
same to the "calc.exe".
of course i can change the filename of the .lnks, or change settings in FARR., but wouldn't it be nice that FARR can automatically searches the target file names of start menu?

best wishes, i love this tool! great job:D

mouser:
Welcome to the site zhouzh2  :)

Your #1 suggestion has been made by quite a few people -- i'm afraid it's not possible currently.  I haven't ruled it out but there are some complications with doing it and so it's not at the top of my list.

The #2 suggestion is a very good one; in fact i added code to do this at one point, BUT i'm afraid it's going to have to wait until FARR gets optional indexing support, which is planned.  This is because it would simply be too cpu and disk intensive to resolve all the shortcuts live during search.

zhouzh2:
Hmmm.....Actually i don't like indexing, it just slowes down my computer...
i think quick non-indexing search is FARR's advantage and feature, that's why i choose it.

or maybe there are other solutions--
1. when no matches, simply add "run " before the word, in this way FARR can replace win+R , and in the future put "run (keyword)" into the searching list
or
2. maintain a build-in list doing following things:
notepad          -run notepad
cmd                -run cmd
calc                 -run calc
paint               -run mspaint
msconfig          -run msconfig
regedit            -run regedit
shutdown        -shutdown computer
reboot             -reboot computer

i know it's easy to config FARR to do the aboves, JUST thinking of build-in these things would be better

question: can i set the hotkeys to forms like "shift"+"alt" or double press "ctrl"???because in laptops there is no "Break" key, the "Break"="Fn"+"Delete", which are faraway from each other... i think  double press a single key might be a better way

actually FARR works perfect to me :D  just hoping FARR to be more perfect :)

mouser:
1. when no matches, simply add "run " before the word, in this way FARR can replace win+R , and in the future put "run (keyword)" into the searching list
--- End quote ---

This is possible using a little-known trick (I plan to make it easier to use in the future).

There is a special alias you can create in FARR called the "noresults" alias, which can be used to tell FARR how to handle what happens when the user hits Enter and no results are shown.

Go to your myalias.alias file in the ALIAS tab, and create an alias like this:

Then if you type something and hit enter and no results are shown, the program will be launched as if using the run command.
(test it by typing notepad.exe and then enter).

mouser:
2. maintain a build-in list doing following things:
--- End quote ---

once you learn how to create aliases you will be able to set those up easily, and many from your list do already exist in some alias pack (like the shutdown ones), BUT your idea of adding those as defaults is a good one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version