topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sticky alphatical list of oft-used programs  (Read 8104 times)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sticky alphatical list of oft-used programs
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:21 AM »
I run 6 or 7 programs regularly.  Is there an option -- or could there be -- to have only those appear each time -- and in the same order?  That way, each program will always have the same number.  All I would have to do then is press pause/break and a number to get one of those programs, without having to investigate which number it carries this time.  Then toggle off this option when I want to launch an odd-ball program.  May be here already, but I don't see it.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sticky alphatical list of oft-used programs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:32 AM »
there is currently no way to do this, BUT i've often wondered if such a function wouldnt' be useful myself, and i have a good easy solution, which i will add in the new version to be released this month.

right now you only have 2 choices of what to show when the window comes up, either blank results, or last launched programs, in order of last launch.

what i propose is simply that you can specify what string to start out searching for when the window first displays, and in that string you could specify an alias group.

i know you might not be familiar with alias groups yet - hopefully my new demo movie will solve that, but suffice it to say that its very easy to make an alias group with exactly the programs you want in your startup list, in the order you want (and even with custom titles), and then simply tell F+R that you want the contents of this alias group to be show when the window appears.

sounds reasonable?

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:56 AM »
Sounds good.  But aliases?  It must be some kind of math-type anxiety, but whenever someone talks about aliases (or batches), my mind goes blank, no matter how many times it's explained. :-\ 

Is there any way to do this without using either of these words?  Just a toggle for an alphabetical list of certain programs or one of the regular scoring systems.  I think I'd rather not know what it's called, just how to do it easily -- and lovably, referring to your earlier post on making software lovable: https://www.donation...1392.msg9240#msg9240.

BTW, I LOVE Find and Run Robot -- but, I've never been totally successful at launching websites with it, probably for the same reason.  Maybe I need some therapy about my alias "issues"?
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:12 AM »
you cant launch websites because you don't have the aliases for it. but don't worry the next version will come with a lot of useful aliases built in; it's a long time overdue and it will be released early this month.